I Need 'muted' Primary Colors...

Decorating By sgauta Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 9:27am by FromScratch

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 6

I've been asked to do a cake to match this party theme:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=20656461

Super cute and I'm really excited about it, but how do I make my colors like that? They seem to be muted primaries. I can't just add less of a red or green or orange because then I'll get pink or mint green or peach. How do I achieve the same color depth with a sort of 'faded' finish? Any thoughts? Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

~Sarah

5 replies
j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 6

They don't look primary to me... could just be the difference in our screens/computers? If I were going off of that picture, I'd use a "rose/blush" for the pinker shade, a light shade of "buttercup" for the pale yellow, "shy blue" for the blue and maybe a light "forest" green with a touch of ivory in it. Just my opinion! icon_surprised.gif)

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 6

They are actually described as primary in the product description...I think basically they are but it's supposed to look sort of 'vintage" so everything has a slightly muted tone to it. Just trying to figure out how I'm going to make these "faded" out colors. Hmm... icon_surprised.gif

~Sarah

paula19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula19 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 8:46am
post #4 of 6

My opinion is wilton cornflower blue, peach, kelly green (and if too bright add a little bit of brown?) and where it says "the end. Then stop" try peach and just a little bit of red. Hope I was of any help icon_smile.gif

saracupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saracupcake Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:04am
post #5 of 6

I would make the primary colours up and then add additional white past to take the "bright" off of them, just knead through a little at a time.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:27am
post #6 of 6

Add a little bit of their complimentary colors to them... a little red to the green... a little green to the red... a little orange to the blue.. a teeny bit of purple to the yellow (teeny)... etc. This will grey them up a tinge and then add some white to lighten them up a few shades. Is there anyway they can get you one of the invites?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%