Oven Has Broken. Don't Know What To Do!

Decorating By sweetlayers Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 8:59pm by weirkd

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 7

Hi. My oven's heating element no longer holds temperature and needs to be replaced immediately.

However, I have never had to replace it and don't know where to start.

Is it something my handy man can do or will I definitely need to call a oven repair guy?

Will I have to order the part or can I just go to Lowes and pick one up?

I really need some advice.


6 replies
sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 7

Also, do you about how much it will cost?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 7

im sorry i dont know the answer, but i would start my contacting the place you got it/ manufacturer.

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 7

it cost me $100 for part and the labor. I had a guy that runs a used appliance store fix it for me. It took him all of 15 minutes. Good Luck

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 7

if it is an electric oven, it isn't hard to do on many models. I'd start with the repair/troubleshooting guide that came with your oven. if you don't have it you can find many on line these days.

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 7

If you have a gas stove you can take the broiler element and switch for the lower heating element. My stove did this a couple of months ago and I was in the middle of making a cake. My husband realized they are the same elements and switched them. We never use the broiler so it worked great. I hope this will work for you. The parts are really easy to switch by yourself. Jaime

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 7

It depends on the make of the oven as to where you can get parts and things. Most heating elements can actually be pulled out and replaced by anyone. I know my mom's Jen Air oven had problems with the element and it literally unplugged and she plugged in the new one. But parts like these are usually not carried by Lowes or Home Depot. You usually have to call your manufacturer or visit their website. I have a Kitchen Aide and I actually can call Sears and they will do the work on it. But your first bet is to find your guide book that has the manufacturer and the make/model number that you will need when you call. And you will probably have to look inside the oven to get some of the info also. There is usually a little silver tag that has that written on it.
If you run into trouble and need to bake for a customer or something, you can ask your local fire department if they will allow you to bake there for exchange of a cake or something for them letting you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%