Need Some Ideas For Birthday Cake

Decorating By Alicia0620 Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 4:55pm by KristyCakes

Alicia0620 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alicia0620 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 14

I'm making a cake for my best friend which needs to be finished by next Thursday. My thinker machine is running a little slow so any suggestions would be great! Here'e some help- it needs to be a smaller cake only serving maybe 8 at the most. She's turning 29 but wants something very girly (even something princessy if possible lol.) I was thinking something with bright colors using pink and something fun and very girly. She loves 80's music so if the phrase "Girls just wanna have fun" comes to mind, yep thats me and my friend! So what do all you wonderful cake friends think?? princess.gif

13 replies
pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 14

SOmewhere on this website is a tutorial on how to make a royal icing tiara, which would look really nice on top of a pretty princessy pillow cake...

HTH

showersfamily4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
showersfamily4 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 14

If she wants something princessy, what about a tiara. You could make a small cake in pink with a tiara sitting on top. I know that there are several on here with tiaras that could maybe give you an idea (if you search for tiara in the galleries) and then just adapt it to what you want.

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:38pm
post #4 of 14

This is a cute idea. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_731733.html
Perhaps even a purse cake with makeup or this 80s theme cake with one tier http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1294245.html

Good Luck!

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 14

Ok I found it. Go to the Articles tab at the top of this page, and then scroll down to "How to Article" and you will see the How to make a royal icing tiara.

Good luck!
HTH

Alicia0620 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:28pm
post #6 of 14

Thank you all so much for the help!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 14

I may be coming in a little late, but I've seen some cute make-up bag cake pictures on this site.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:47pm
post #8 of 14

What about a heart like you did for your son's class, and put on a RI crown? Make it all pink and frilly.

Does she like wine? What about a couple of real wine glasses on top (laying down, of course), on a pink heart-shaped cake, with a happy 29th on it? You could make flower sprays our of icing coming out of the glasses, like a glassful of flowers "spilling" out of them. The wine glasses can be keepsakes. It's fast, not a ton of money out making it, and girly but grownup all at the same time.

Are you going out to dinner? Do you need a big cake if it's only going to be 8 people or so eating small slices? What about a birthday box with a bow? That's still nice and festive, without it being too much cake.
icon_smile.gif

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alicia0620 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:28pm
post #10 of 14

Those are some really great ideas! I think my problem has been that I see so many cute cakes on here and I want to try so many of them lol. I really appreciate the support and suggestions. I've got till Monday before I'm actually going to get the stuff to make it. And no, we're not going out to dinner, I'm making a big manicotti dinner for her. I know.. I'll be worn out! Dinner AND a cake. whewww...

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:51pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia0620

Those are some really great ideas! I think my problem has been that I see so many cute cakes on here and I want to try so many of them lol. I really appreciate the support and suggestions. I've got till Monday before I'm actually going to get the stuff to make it. And no, we're not going out to dinner, I'm making a big manicotti dinner for her. I know.. I'll be worn out! Dinner AND a cake. whewww...

I know what you mean, I try to think of reasons to make a cake...just so i can try out a design i like!!! Anyway, be sure to post a pic of the cake! I want to see the end result!!! P.S. Mmmmmmmm....manicotti...

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:36pm
post #12 of 14

What about using a feather boa around the cake base. And you could wire some pretty beds to spray out of the top of the cake.

Alicia0620 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:43pm
post #13 of 14

I've seen the feather boas on other people's cake boards, but how do you get them to stay? (Is that a silly question icon_confused.gif ) I've used ribbons and have gotten them to stay but with a boa..? Hmm.. I have one that has never been used, just sitting there waiting for an excuse to shine lol. I might take that into consideration. Thanks!!

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 4:55pm
post #14 of 14

When I wrapped the boa around the base of the cake, I just tucked it underneath of itself and it stayed pretty well. I've also coiled a boa around itself, with some tucking in, in a smaller diameter than the cake and had the beaded wired coming out of the center. (It hides the wires stuck into the cake nicely!) Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%