Topsy Turvy Frosting And Filling Ideas

Decorating By Normita Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 1:43pm by brincess_b

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:08am
post #1 of 6

I am making a topsy turvy this weekend. It will be a 3 tier, a 12, 9 and 7 (3inch deep) doubled up. I know that for this type of cake it is best to use a buttercream filling (as I was told) because fruit filling will cause the cake to slide. However, what other buttercream flavors are there besides chocolate...any ideas??? I also want to know if I can use any other icing or buttercream suggested for these types of cakes?? What have you guys used on your topsy turvys.....filings and icing?? I am not creative and need help icon_smile.gif

5 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:25am
post #2 of 6

Great tutorial here:
http://cakecentral.com/article1-Instructions-For-Building-A-Whimsical-Tilted-Cake.html

No significant filling other than enough buttercream to hold layers together.
Fondant on the exterior
Buttercream can be flavored with most extracts--almond, lemon, rasberry, french vanilla, etc.

Good Luck
Rae

jrkrayenhagen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jrkrayenhagen Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:28am
post #3 of 6

I have never made a topsy turvy myself (but hope to fairly soon on a birthday cake I am about to take on) but as far as flavoring your buttercream... have you tried Lorann flavorings? There are tons of flavors you can choose from and they are all pretty delicious icon_smile.gif

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:30am
post #4 of 6

There are lots of other buttercream flavors. Vanilla, Almond, Lemon, Coconut...you can make any flavor, just use your desired type of extracts. Good luck!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:47pm
post #5 of 6

I did my first topsy-turvy cake a couple of weeks ago. I iced mine totally in a crusting buttercream, and it worked out fine.( NO fondant on mine) The most important thing on those cakes is to make sure you have the "hole" cut large enough for the next layer to fit in it. They sure are impressive to see!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:43pm
post #6 of 6

you can use real flavours - actual oranges and lemons, lime, berries. pretty much anything can somehow be turned into a bc flavour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%