Edible Image Copyright Question..

Decorating By CKelly Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 11:55pm by CKelly

CKelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CKelly Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 5

I noticed a seller on E-bay selling edible images of very popular groups etc.. Like for instance The Jonas Bros. This particular seller will also print Happy Birthday to whoever on the edible image.
My question is how can she make so much money selling images when it's against copyright laws for me to make a character cake and sell it?

I'm just curious..

4 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 5

If this person is creating and printing these images without paying for the licensing, they are doing it illegally and just haven't been caught yet. Just because some is doing something and getting away with it, doesn't mean they're not breaking the law.

CKelly Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks. I was just wondering if the rules are different for edible images. She's sold a lot of popular images..

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 5

Sometimes decorators will purchase a pack of certain images when they need a couple.......then sell the excess ones on e-bay. They might has a food-image printer so they can add the message.

CKelly Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks..She's not selling excess ones I'm pretty sure..I believe she is copying them with her edible printer and selling.
That's why I was wondering how she could profit off of printing a Disney image and reselling them.
I actually bought a Jonas Bros. one from Camp Rock from her and had a name added.

Thanks for all the help..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%