Question About Gumpaste

Decorating By bostonterrierlady Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 12:08am by bettinashoe

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 4

I made some gumpaste Nicholas Lodge recipe. I made some white rose bases and gutm out some numbers without color. Plan to color latter. Pianted on. My question is why do the numbers look so dry and blah when they dry, like elephant skin?

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 4

You probably didn't get the recipe *exact*. Try adding a bit of egg white &/or some Crisco - not much - just enough for it to become like well chewed gum icon_smile.gif

MLopardi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLopardi Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:08am
post #3 of 4

It may also be drying out too fast. I have experienced that same elephant skin texture if I continue handling it after the surface has started to dry (which happens quite fast). It is for this reason that I usually will blend in a touch of fondant to my gumpaste to keep it pliable a bit longer. I get less cracking that way as well and am able to work in finer details on flowers and characters. Hope this helps!

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:08am
post #4 of 4

You may also want to set the colors by steaming them over boiling water (or a steamer) for a short period of time. This sets the color and also brings out any the glow in the paints (if you used pearl colors). Don't let them steam too long or they'll melt. If you haven't used a pearl color, you may want to brush the flowers with a pearl color and then steam them. Steaming makes them come alive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%