Food Network Cake Champion Does Not Count Without Mike.

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 3:08am by xstitcher

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 27

Why isn't he on it???? As my daughter would say "He rocks face!"

26 replies
justfrosting Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 27

And Marina Sousa is missing too. That is a disgrace.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 27

maybe they were offered and couldn't/wouldn't be on it..

i do LOVE Mike though!!!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 27

No kidding....Mike totally would have made the others shake in their boots. They all make each shake in their boots, but, dang...Mike woulda cleaned house, I am betting!

justfrosting Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 27

I just think if they are going to do something and ad it as "the best cake artists in the country" they can't leave out the people who really are the best. Obviously James and obviously Braunwin, but there are a couple people on who I am like ??? icon_confused.gif

Josh should be on there as well.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 27

Sometimes is a matter of their schedules..Maybe he couldnt do it. Then again, when you are that good, is better to let others shine through...We alrready know they are the best..
Edna icon_smile.gif

justfrosting Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 27

But this contest is supposed to be "best of the best." I am frustrated. I love mike.

fabulosity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabulosity Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:13pm
post #8 of 27

DANG IT! icon_cry.gif

I missed the latest episode! What day/time does it come on???

tonedna Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:14pm
post #9 of 27

Just think this..It might not be the last time they do this!
Edna icon_smile.gif

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:18pm
post #10 of 27

They replay the new Sunday night challenges on Wednesday nights at 7pm EST. Thank goodness!!

I was reading a post on last week's challenge forum that said Marina Sousa declined, as did another cake designer. I know that is why Courtney is on as a challenger.

justfrosting Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:20pm
post #11 of 27

Poor Braunwin. That "c" was so sad. I just love her.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:21pm
post #12 of 27

According to another thread on CC Marina Sousa had a family emergency and Normal Davis has health issues so they were replaced. But, I didn't hear anything about Mike even being asked. He is THE MAN with Candy Clay! There are so many great decorators out there. He might have actually been asked and turned them down. Who knows? All "I" know is that every Sunday night at 7 PM CST.....the DVR is set or I'm sitting in front of the tube...watching the drama!

Beth in KY

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:26pm
post #13 of 27

I agree with tonedna we all know he is great let someone else get the chance. This real allow other artist to bump up there game and only make them even better. I'm sure they gave some other artist a chance but some had other things going on. We do not have all the info so to make assumptions with out all info isn't far. I don't think it's a disgrace.

derrcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
derrcake Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:28pm
post #14 of 27

Courtney's winning cake (can't find a picture on line), had a tier that was "quilted" and had an iridescent finish. How did she do that. This is far beyond my level, but curious is anyone knows what that techinique is called and how it is done? The quilting looked so perfectly straight.

justfrosting Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:35pm
post #15 of 27

I liked Courtney's cake last night. I saw the quilting. It looked like she was doing it with a wheel instead of a mat, which I thought was cool.

justfrosting Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:36pm
post #16 of 27

I liked Courtney's cake last night. I saw the quilting. It looked like she was doing it with a wheel instead of a mat, which I thought was cool.

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:48pm
post #17 of 27

Is it just me or does Brownyn look ill? She looked REALLY tired on these last two shows. I just love her....but those rings under her eyes has me a little worried about her. Maybe its just allergies or something - I know I get those same rings every spring when the flowers start blooming.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:38am
post #18 of 27

It is understable if some decorators are not competing. Just think of how much time they are giving to be on a series of episodes. I can't imagine everyone having that big chunk of time in their schedules, when they are already well known and no doubt, busy at their stores.

I also thought Bronwen looked especially fatigued these last two episodes.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:10am
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfrosting

I saw the quilting. It looked like she was doing it with a wheel instead of a mat, which I thought was cool.

I definitely like this method--I've never even used an impression mat--but with the wheel you can do any size/spacing of the quilting without having to have multiple mats or worry about where/how the patter will match up.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:34am
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattigunter

Is it just me or does Brownyn look ill? She looked REALLY tired on these last two shows. I just love her....but those rings under her eyes has me a little worried about her. Maybe its just allergies or something - I know I get those same rings every spring when the flowers start blooming.

You can read the stress like newspaper headlines on their little faces.
"FN Is Screwing Some Pros." <Read all about it>

Savory chefs and even pastry chefs in restaurants and hotels operate completely differently than cakers.

This competition seems more twisted in a painful way rather than a healthy 'who is gonna do/be the best.' I mean I'm watching it but--hey, look at Iron Chef--it's one hour. These folks go toe to toe for eight hours plus figure in all the work they did before they even got there then jerk them around with surprise starts, running around the city, axing their peers, and who knows what else.

Yes they are all showing the stress. It's a car crash every week.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:42am
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Sometimes is a matter of their schedules..Maybe he couldnt do it. Then again, when you are that good, is better to let others shine through...We alrready know they are the best..
Edna icon_smile.gif

So Edna, when are you going to do a FN Challenge?

You know you would rock it!

tonedna Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:02am
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Edna icon_smile.gif

So Edna, when are you going to do a FN Challenge?

You know you would rock it!

lol...we call that being a sucker for pain!..I am not sure, I might end up looking like Bronwen too!! icon_redface.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:26pm
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethola

According to another thread on CC Marina Sousa had a family emergency and Normal Davis has health issues so they were replaced. But, I didn't hear anything about Mike even being asked. He is THE MAN with Candy Clay! There are so many great decorators out there. He might have actually been asked and turned them down. Who knows? All "I" know is that every Sunday night at 7 PM CST.....the DVR is set or I'm sitting in front of the tube...watching the drama!

Beth in KY

Marina's Mom just passed away recently and yes Norman Davis did have health issues.

I wonder if some the great ones have chosen not to do it because of all the drama that's been on there lately?????? Just a thought....

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:25am
post #24 of 27

I didn't get to watch the end and won't get to watch tomorrow. I saw the winning cake and it was beautiful. But who got ejected?

Sandy

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:39am
post #25 of 27

Elisa got eliminated. She made a pretty traditional cake with the ski accent. It was really pretty.

But Keeghan told them before they got in the limo (so it seems--can't tell the time frame exactly by the editing) that the generic wedding cake would not do that it needed to be very personalized. And she makes a very traditional-ish cake.

I was at a FN competition taping once and they really practice the countdowns 10, 9, 8 etc. And the announcers practice and re-practice their lines over and over. So I'm unsure if that bit of information (traditional cakes need not apply) was really delivered to them all at that time by what was shown. Seemd like it but...

I'm glad Courtney won. She was so shocked. I know Kerry was glad she did not do a whimsy but I bet that couple would have really realy dug a whimsy.

xstitcher Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:52am
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Elisa got eliminated. She made a pretty traditional cake with the ski accent. It was really pretty.

But Keeghan told them before they got in the limo (so it seems--can't tell the time frame exactly by the editing) that the generic wedding cake would not do that it needed to be very personalized. And she makes a very traditional-ish cake.

I was at a FN competition taping once and they really practice the countdowns 10, 9, 8 etc. And the announcers practice and re-practice their lines over and over. So I'm unsure if that bit of information (traditional cakes need not apply) was really delivered to them all at that time by what was shown. Seemd like it but...

I'm glad Courtney won. She was so shocked. I know Kerry was glad she did not do a whimsy but I bet that couple would have really realy dug a whimsy.

Also, the couple mentioned that they did not like traditional wedding cakes and as she was the 2nd one out of the limo she missed that bit of the interview with the couple.

xstitcher Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:08am
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscout73

I didn't get to watch the end and won't get to watch tomorrow. I saw the winning cake and it was beautiful. But who got ejected?

Sandy

Here are the re-run times for this episode in case you get the chance to watch it:

Apr 15, 2009 7:00 PM ET/PT
Apr 18, 2009 2:00 PM ET/PT
Apr 19, 2009 7:00 PM ET/PT

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%