Am I The Only One?

Lounge By KawaiiCakeCook Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 1:40pm by jules06

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 13

Hi my name is is Brook and I'm CC Validation addict. I admit that I check "My Photos" at least 2-3 times a day. I am positively giddy when I get a response to a post or a photo I post. Am baffled when a cake I think rocks only has ten views.
Somedays I find myself working extra hard in the vain hope that one day one of my cakes will be featured in the "Popular Cake Photos - Added Today" despite the fact that I'm not quite at that level yet (hey a girl can dream). I long for the skills to launch me into the all mighty of validations - "ALL TIME POPULAR CAKES" With their perfect fondant or buttercream and elegant touches of dagrees, scroll work and gum paste flowers. This has seemed to elude me even after many minutes spent at the very prestigious school "le'YouTube"
Often in my more pathetic moments I find myself wondering if I posted at a different time would more people click on my cake? Sitting at home clicking on a page where thousands of creative men and women have come to share their thoughts, ideas and cakes I wait with baited breath as my clicker goes higher the small rush filling me with a tiny hit of elation. Wondering to myself how do those with thousands of hits, hundred of favorites contain themselves. Cause I would have t-shirts printed, take out ads...Okay maybe not but I certainly would walk around with a little bounce in my step.
So how about it ladies, are you addicts? Come on, how often do you take hit of your hits?

P.S. Does anyone feel let down when they click on a cake with flowers and they turn out to be real?

12 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 13

When I first post a cake I check on it fairly often. After a while I just like to see the various totals for all of the cakes.

As for the real flowers, I think they can look fantastic on a cake. So it doesn't really bother me. Fresh flowers can be placed very creatively.

I'll check out your photos.

Michele

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 13

In your profile information you can set it up to be notified when someone posts a comment on your cakes. (Just in case you didn't know about that.)

EyeCandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EyeCandy Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 13

I feel pretty good when my hits go up, but I'm just a starter and only with cupcakes so I don't think they get as many visits as the "real cakes" do. I doubt I'll ever get up to that level either, but I'll try! But, I will admit I get really giddy when I see someone else has "favorited" my picture, that just amazes me!! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm off to look at your pictures and raise your count. thumbs_up.gif

KawaiiCakeCook Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 13

Sugarflower, REALLY? well you're flowers are so fantastic they look real. I guess I like sugar flowers because I'm somewhat lacking in that arena and am amazed by the art some people are capable of. There are thousands of people who can put flowers on cakes, but the ability to make the fake flowers is far rarer.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:55pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaiiCakeCook

Sugarflower, REALLY? well you're flowers are so fantastic they look real. I guess I like sugar flowers because I'm somewhat lacking in that arena and am amazed by the art some people are capable of. There are thousands of people who can put flowers on cakes, but the ability to make the fake flowers is far rarer.

Yeah, and the customers willing to pay for sugar flowers aren't plentiful in my neck o' the woods either.

Brook, your post made me laugh. You really wrote it well. Anyone would be foolish to say that having lots of validation meant nothing to them. Once I post a picture, I rarely go back to it unless I get a comment and that's because my email alerts me to new comments. I've been fortunate enough to have a couple of mine appear in the populars for the day and it was awesome! I don't get mad at a picture with few views though. It is what it is.

What I really like is when someone comments on an OLD picture of mine. That means they searched it out and took time out to say something nice.

KawaiiCakeCook Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:06am
post #7 of 13

I feel like I have to say I wrote that post with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. I try desperately for a hybrid between Joan Rivers and Bill Engvall and tend to normally fall a few feet short. And I agree jenks those who say they don't want validation have just yet to come out of the closet.

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:57am
post #8 of 13

I am really new here to CC, and almost fell out of my chair when I got my very first comment on a cake & WOW you should have seen the dance I did when one of my cakes got favorited .. not once but twice!! I am far from a professional, have not taken any classes, and only make cakes for family & friends, so to have someone favorite one of my cakes & leave a nice comment about them it feels GREAT! I used to spend most of my time online playing games & on my Myspace .. now I am on CC 99% of my time online. Totally addicted now!

KawaiiCakeCook Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:35am
post #9 of 13

I think the addiction is more common in the newbie/Junior members, the equivalent of the ER George Clooney, humbled by the attention and rave reviews. Our more "seasoned" posters have been there and done that they are more of an ocean's 13 George, confident of their accomplishments and perhaps, if not jaded, at least not as impressed by the attention any more.

p.s. so have done the happy dance, come on ladies admit to the happy dance

EyeCandy Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:38am
post #10 of 13

You know I've done it!!! icon_biggrin.gif

KawaiiCakeCook Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:45am
post #11 of 13

EyeCandy can I just say I love your name, fab sweetie, just fab

EyeCandy Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:55am
post #12 of 13

Awww, why thank you! My friends and family came up with it for me, based on the appearance of my earlier cupcakes. icon_biggrin.gif Thank you!!

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:40pm
post #13 of 13

I will admit to the fact that everytime I make a cake, there is that little hope in the back of my head that it will make "popular cake " !!! & I've so done the happy dance !!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%