Ideas Needed

Decorating By kay52178 Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 11:22am by kay52178

kay52178 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kay52178 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a birthday cake for my son. I bought the mini wilton 3-D cake pan and want to make corduroy out of it and put it on top of an 8 inch cake. I would like to make corduroy's overalls out of MMF. But, I'm stumped as to how I can make that happen. Do I measure it out as one big piece, or do I do separate pieces for the body and legs? I'm thinking that i"m going to do the overalls first and then do the rest in buttercream after. But I'm just wondering how I"m going to get the MMF overalls to stay on and cut to fit the bear cake. And if I do do separate pieces, how am I going to be able to blend them together to make them look like one piece.

Any ideas?

5 replies
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 6

I did cordoroy once (but it was on a much larger scale. YOu can see it in my photos, maybe on page 2. It was a scarecrow). I cut each of the pieces separately. I actually made a pattern based on my son's overalls (he was only 1 or so at the time!) The fondant should stick to the cake if you have it at least lightly iced first. They really shouldnt have to blend much. What I did was overlap the pieces like a pair of overalls would look. You can always add "stitching" lines with a sewing tool (I don't know what they are called) or there is a wilton tool you can use to make stitching.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 6

Are you refering to the fabric or Corduroy the bear?

kay52178 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:30am
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the ideas.

Juleebug - I'm talking about corduroy the bear.

merissa - I love your overalls. I think it will be easier too to piece it together. I'm not sure I'm capable of that much detail, but I do think a little detail might help not notice the "pieceing" of it together.

Thanks for the ideas, anyone else?

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:07am
post #5 of 6

I think I would do it in 2 pieces, front and back. Join at the sides. Extra fondant could be folds of material as would naturally occur when one is sitting. You can search the internet for free doll clothing patterns and re-size them. Here's one I found that could be easily modified:

http://www.jessica-tromp.nl/baby_patterns_patronen/baby%20overall%2062%2022x31%20b.GIF

kay52178 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:22am
post #6 of 6

Very good idea juleebug about the pattern. Thanks for the idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%