Anything I Need To Know About Gluten Free?

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 2:09pm by pastryjen

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:10pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,

I have been asked to do a wedding cake for a friend. However, the bride can only have gluten free cake---which I don't do. So, she is planning on buying a gluten free cake from a local bakery and wants me to decorate it to match the rest of her cake. Is there anything I need to know about decorating this type of cake? Anything special that I should know before telling her yes?

Thanks in advance!

6 replies
kimbers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbers Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 7

Great Question! I'd like to know the answer... here's a bump!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 7

I would talk to the bride and make sure that all your ingredients for your icing are safe (colour, flavour etc.) Also, check her level of tolerance - if a speck of flour gets on the cake (from dust while baking) is that going to set off a reaction.

I would also make her sign something that states you are not responsible for any reaction she might have - to the best of your knowledge it is gluten free.

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:39pm
post #4 of 7

I would pass on this order. Celiac disease is very painful. You have to be very careful not to contaminate the cake with any wheat (toast crumbs, flour, pasta, cake mix) , rye or barley products. The cake could not come in contact with any other surface or knife, that was in contact with those grains, etc. Often there is gluten in extracts and colorings and you cannot tell by reading the label. You would need to contact the manufacturer (toll free #). If there was a problem-who could prove they were innocent-you or the bakery?? Neither. Cake could be contaminated in the transportation process. I wouldn't want the risk.

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 7

My SIL was just here for a weekend visit. My nephew has a gluten allergy so meals were a challenge.

We had a BDay party for my 6 year old while they were here and he couldn't have the cake, but my sister made gluten free cupcakes for him.

She loved my icing and asked me what was in it. I use the Buttercream Dream recipe and she said her son can have everything in it. She was so excited! So I wrote it down for her. (She buys gluten free cake mixes).

But if the bakery is baking the cake, then you should be fine with the buttercream dream recipe, but as another person suggested I would definitely discuss it with the bride.

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 7

I don't think her sensitivity is severe....I know that she does on occasion indulge in regular cakes....but suffers for it later on.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:09pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswendel

I don't think her sensitivity is severe....I know that she does on occasion indulge in regular cakes....but suffers for it later on.

I have a friend with a sensitivity like this...as long as you are both clear on everything, you should be fine.

I actually made a g/f cake mix by kinnik - she thought it was great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%