How Much Would You Pay For This Cookie?

Baking By cylstrial Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 8:21pm by cylstrial

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:34pm
post #1 of 10

Hey everyone,
I'm just trying to figure out how much I'll sell cookies for eventually! I always come up with a price and then ask DH. DH always freaks out and says, "No way would I spend that much money on a cookie, cake, etc".
I know I still need to improve but would you spend a $1.50 on the bunny with a tail? And $2.50 for the bunny face?
I know most people charge $1.00/square inch. So would those prices be reasonable?

Thanks!!
Celeste
LL

9 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:41pm
post #2 of 10

Question - how big would they be - please?
Just a bit hard to gauge from the picture.

Thankyou
Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 10

Sure! The bunny face is 41/2 inches long and 3 and 1/2 inches wide (measured at the longest and widest points).
The bunny with the tail is 4 inches wide and 3 inches tall (measured at the widest and longest points again).

Thanks for being willing to help!

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 10

Yes! These cookies are custom made for the occasion and well decorated as I can see.Same applies for those wedding cookies that have to be decorated in specific colors, etc.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 10

It's usually $1 per inch, using the natural orientation of the object - so the bunny face would be $4.50, running bunny $4.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 10

Yes - because thats a lot of biscuit for either $1.50 or $2.50.
Please take this in the polite way it is intended - but they are homemade - with detail - so i think your asking price is very fair.

Are you thinking of selling privately or through a shop - either way, i wish you every sucess. thumbs_up.gif
Hopefully there is a little niche that you can corner and then it will be non stop baking for you...or perhaps even a weekend market stall icon_smile.gif

lol - at what your hubby said - think he needs to go for a walk and look at what a boring ole oatmeal biscuit is fetching these days in cakeshops - icon_wink.gif

Bluehue.
icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:06pm
post #7 of 10

I would sell them for $3.50 each, individually packaged in cellophane and tied with something pretty (satin ribbon, curling ribbon, raffia etc), but only because the decoration is fairly simple on them. Now, start doing highly detailed cookies, and we'd be talking $$$$$! Don't let your cheap hubby dictate your prices (or make him help so he truly understands the work that goes into all your lovely creations!) HTH!

cylstrial Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:15pm
post #8 of 10

LOL! Thanks everyone! Like I said, I'm not ready to sell anything yet. I just made these to go in Easter baskets and for some church kids that I teach on Sunday. DH is just so hard to talk to about these things. And I'm sitting here thinking, if DH wouldn't even pay a $1.00 for that whole cookie, WHY am I doing this? Because the goal is eventually to have my own business!

It means a lot to me that you all think my cookies are worth the price!

sweetopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetopia Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:02pm
post #9 of 10

Your cookies are adorable!
I agree with the advice given here... $1.00 per square inch. My DH was the same way; he just couldn't fathom how a cookie could cost that much... that is, until he helped me with some cookies once and gingerbread houses another time. He finally got it!
I don't really sell many of the things I make; it's usually for family and friends, and unless it's really worth my time (pay-wise)... it just isn't worth my time! My opinion is, sell to the people who will pay what they're worth, and the others can get generic ones at the grocery store.

cylstrial Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:21pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks for the good advice sweetopia!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%