Credentials--When You Rent???

Business By lhayes1976 Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 8:37pm by drowsyrn

lhayes1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lhayes1976 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:41am
post #1 of 6

It looks like I'm going to have to rent a kitchen from a local church for a short while this summer. Does the church just give me a copy of their license, do I have to go through an inspection?

5 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:23pm
post #2 of 6

Here in MN, the Department of Agriculture and the Department of Health inspects the kitchen and licenses you under theirs. If the kitchen has been licensed, all you need to do is contact these inspectors and they take it from there. There is a form to fill out and you send it in with your payment and in about a week your good to go.


grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 6

I think the best thing would be to check with the church and see what the rules are for your area.....

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:50pm
post #4 of 6

you have to have your own license, it pretty simple process. If the church is already licensed, then all you have to do is have an inspection scheduled for you license, they come out do the inspection and then issue a temp license and give you the paper work to mail in to get your annual license. Wow that was easy... as long as the kitchen passes. You should have no problems, I would go in one day before the inspection and make sure everything is clean.

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 6

anyone know what the reqirements are for a rented kitchen?

drowsyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowsyrn Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 6

You also need your own liability insurance. If you were an employee of the church, their workman's comp and liability insurance would cover you. Since you are not, you need your own insurance too. You are more or less an independant contractor. I checked on that when I was thinking of letting someone rent space in my shop.

Quote by @%username% on %date%