Gum Paste Roses Question What Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By Molly2 Updated 12 Apr 2009 , 7:50pm by Molly2

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 5

I made my first gum paste roses using floral wire this weekend for a friends Anniversary cake, my cake came out great BUT my roses where not perfect but they were pretty at least I thought so and so did my friend the only problem I had was, the roses that I put on the side of the cake were very heavy and when I got to the site where it was to be delivered my roses were hanging off the side and it had pulled part of the icing off it was fixable but my question is. What is the secret to these cakes that have the gum paste flower down the side of the cake I understand that a lot of these roses are made with royal icing but I really think the gum paste roses are much prettier and my friend wanted them to be gold with the luster dust so to me gum paste was the way to go I thought maybe my center was to thick and made them heavy I watched tonedna tutorial she is great and it helped a lot but what can I do so they want be so heavy?

Molly icon_confused.gif

4 replies
julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 5

Did you make the petals too thick? Where they all the way dry? Attach a picture of your flowers and cake That way we can help you more.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 5

I always hang my flowers on the buttercream..Just make sure to put a bit of fresh buttercream to make them hold and press them lightly on your buttercream. And another factor is making sure your buttercream is not to soft. If you put your flowers on top of already crusted buttercream it won't hold.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Molly2 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 5

Here is one picture of my cake next time will will add more icing
Thank You for your help tonedna your great

Molly
LL

Molly2 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 5

Here is a close up of my roses