Sagging Buttercream

Decorating By ConnieSue Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 11:26am by ConnieSue

ConnieSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieSue Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 6

Please look at my cake and tell me how I can prevent the sag in my buttercream. It is very frustrating, and happens in most of my cakes. icon_cry.gif

URL: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1337455.html

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 6

when you said "sag", I expected to see the icing sliding down the side of the cake and I dont' see that, so I'm not sure what you're referring to, unless the picture doesnt' show it very well. The closest thing I can see is on the 2nd tier down, there appears to be some roughness just above the ribbon.

Are you using the hot-wet knife method to smooth this? Is it a crusting icing or a wet icing?

It does look like the 3rd tier down needed a bit more leveling (it slopes downward on the right side), and it's not quite centered (closer to the right edge than the left edge). However, it appears you did a good job on getting the dowels all the same size .... with a sloped cake like that, the cake has the potential of leaning, but it doesn't, which tells me you cut the dowels nice and level.

I really REALLY like the vining effect on the corners of the cakes, though! Those look really nice!

dahir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dahir Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 6

That's a Great Design - What type of buttercream icing are you using? That may help determine what the problem might be
Tracy

ConnieSue Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 6

Indidebi, yes on the second tier and the bottom tier the icing sagged on me. I use a buttercream with shortening and butter and the viva method for smoothing. The cake did shift on me a bit after it was placed so it is off center a bit on the third tier.

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:21am
post #5 of 6

All your cakes are beautiful! Just wanted to suggest experimenting with a different buttercream recipe. Having lived in Arkansas (now in Florida), I know the humidity is high, there. I have had so many flops this last month, due to humidity, I get sick of the cake before I even begin actually decorating. I have now found a great fondant recipe that seems to be working well. I am going to try Sugarshack's buttercream as soon as I find the hi ratio shortening. Good luck!

ConnieSue Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:26am
post #6 of 6

Underthesun I think that you are right, high ratio shortening just might be the answer I am looking for. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%