Chocolate Cake - Please!!!

Baking By Lulubelle1970 Updated 12 Apr 2009 , 5:42pm by sayhellojana

Lulubelle1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lulubelle1970 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:04am
post #1 of 16

Has anyone come across a chocolate cake recipe that is flavorsome?? I am always disappointed when I make a chocolate cake (from scratch). My last one was full of lovely ingredients but was still a "bit dry and needed more filling" - so I am told. I know it isn't my recipe but it is always a little upsetting to hear. Maybe I am just a rubbish baker - ha. Anyway, please help restore my faith!!

15 replies
sabiha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabiha Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:25am
post #2 of 16

hi........ this is my choclate cake recipe , that has never dissapointed me , very soft and yummy.........

185 gms butter / margarine
3 oz baking flour
4 oz self raising flour
2 eggs
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 cup of milk
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
6 oz of castor sugar

sift flour with cocoa and bicarbonate of soda and keep aside
Beat margarine and sugar till pale and fluffy, add one egg at a time , beat , on low speed beat in half flour and half milk alternately, bake at 170C. for 45 minutes. this mixture goes into a 8inch round cake tin.

Hope u like the cake that will turn out. icon_smile.gif

Lulubelle1970 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:37am
post #3 of 16

Thank you, I will try your recipe out asap! I appreciate you sharing.
I have also discovered that an oven thermometer is vital. My cakes often rise in the centre in a bit of a dome but I hear they should rise uniformly if the temp it right. That would account for the drying out I guess. So, it's back to the shop for me...

sabiha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabiha Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:45am
post #4 of 16

u r welcome. for the dome.....i found a trick......after pouring the mixture into the tin level it out , using a spoon push mixture from centre a little to the side to form a small well like...... this will make it rise in one level, has always worked for me...... other reason for dome could be the amount of baking powder or baking soda used....make sure u level the spoons using a knife when measuring to be exact ....... icon_smile.gif

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:52am
post #5 of 16

Many people on CC swear by the Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake" recipe. I like it, but found it's best with a few changes. So, I use sour cream for half of the milk, hot coffee in place of boiling water, add 1 teaspoon coconut extract. Hope that helps!

Lulubelle1970 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:58am
post #6 of 16

Thanks Sabiha, I will try that trick too. I have found this baking caper to be addictive and rather expensive in the trial and error process!! I am sure I am not alone here! I will let you know how it goes in the next few days. Just out of interest, I stumbled across this website a few minutes ago, www.hub-uk.com/tallyrecip03/recipe0120.htm worth having a look at and giving a shot too I think.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 9:11am
post #7 of 16

I love this one, very chocolatey (I don't think 2tbsp cocoa is very chocolatey!), moist & delicious:

175g cocoa powder mixed with 300ml of boiling water and allowed to cool
150g plain flour
150g self-raising/cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
145g butter or marg, softened
550g light brown sugar
3 large eggs
300ml buttermilk (or use ordinary milk with 2tbsp replaced with vinegar/lemon juice)
2 tsp vanilla extract

Sift dry ingredients into a separate bowl. Cream butter & sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Alternately add dry ingredients & buttermilk in 3 parts. Mix in cocoa paste & vanilla. Pour into pans & bake at Gas 5/180C until cake tests clean in the middle (this will vary with pan size, but as soon as your kitchen starts smelling strongly of chocolate, it's time to start testing!). Cool in pan for 15 mins and then turn onto a rack to cool completely.

Hope that helps!

Lulubelle1970 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 9:11am
post #8 of 16

Thanks Sayhellojana,

I have just googled and printed the recipe. I am in Australia so no Hersheys for me but I can substitute for Nestle. I will take your advice and go 1/2 sour cream and 1/2 milk and the hot coffee too. I have never used coconut extract but should be easy to get in the supermarket - although this is Adelaide and some things just don't exist here! Frustrating. Thanks again, I look forward to trying this out. I will limit it to the two cakes for now because I will be the primary taster and that could lead to exercise!! Cheers.

Lulubelle1970 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 9:16am
post #9 of 16

Thanks Bonjovibabe,
I will try yours too!! It sounds really good. Thanks all for being helpful.

junny629 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junny629 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 9:22am
post #10 of 16

I love the Darn Good Chocolate Cake, which you can find in the recipe section. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2163-Darn-Good-Chocolate-Cake.html (use chocolate syrup if you want super rich chocolate cake)

It's super good and I get compliments every time I make it. Guess there are lots of different chocolate cake you can try now. Good luck.

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 10:12am
post #11 of 16

If I want a dense, rich, moist and chocolatey chocolate cake, I use Martha Stewart's Dark Chocolate Cake recipe. It's on her website and you should be able to find it using the recipe search on her site.

HTH icon_smile.gif

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 10:38am
post #12 of 16

Try this mudcake - http://www.cakesandmore.org/blog/2008/09/chocolate-mud-cake-with-ferrero-rocher-filling/

My sister made it and it was AWESOME! The coffee in it just gives the cake that extra zing. I know when anyone here makes a choc cake with a little coffee in it, the compliments fly thick and fast.

Haven't tried the Ferrero Filling but it sounds divine!!!!

faraaris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faraaris Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:40pm
post #13 of 16

hi.. i also would like to share a choc cake recipe.. it is so simple and easy.. the outcome also is perfect. perhaps you may try this too icon_smile.gif

the ingredients

PART A
1 cup of cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup oil
1/2 cup condensed milk

PART B - sieve and put a side
1 1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon soda carbonate

3 nos egg

method
mixed all ingredient of part A in the pot.. boil it for a while to dissolved the sugar. and put aside

whisk the egg for a while. then put in in PART A's pot

then put in ingredients of part B in the pot as well

mixed all. then put it in the cake mould. bake it in the oven for 45 mins or until its cooked. (you may also steam this cake)

the cake will be very moist icon_smile.gif

good luck

sweetsbyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:07pm
post #15 of 16

Chocolate Sour Cream Pound Cake

This is a cake my mom used to make when I was little, and because she made it like only once a year I always craved it! Its VERY moist and I always have people ask for the recipe!

1 1/2 cups softened butter
3 Cups sugar
5 eggs
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
8 ounces sour cream
1 cup boiling water

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well past each egg. Combine cocoa, flour, salt, & baking soda together in bowl. Add to butter mixture a little at a time alternating with the sour cream and vanilla. Add water and mix (looks like mud!) Pour into a greased and floured pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minitues. Cool 15 min in pan then on rack.

Let me just say that the baking time above works for the cake in a bundt pan, so any other pan will have a different time!

I really hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think or if you have any questions.

Alice

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 5:42pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulubelle1970

Thanks Sayhellojana,

I have just googled and printed the recipe. I am in Australia so no Hersheys for me but I can substitute for Nestle. I will take your advice and go 1/2 sour cream and 1/2 milk and the hot coffee too. I have never used coconut extract but should be easy to get in the supermarket - although this is Adelaide and some things just don't exist here! Frustrating. Thanks again, I look forward to trying this out. I will limit it to the two cakes for now because I will be the primary taster and that could lead to exercise!! Cheers.

Any cocoa powder will do fine. I dont always use Hersheys. You can leave out the coconut, I just think it enhanses the chocolate flavor nicely. Also, it's normal for cakes to dome. I always level my cakes. Some people bake at low temperatures to get flat cakes, but it doesnt mean you are doing anything wrong. Cakes are suppose to rise!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%