How Much To Charge!

Decorating By patticakesnc Updated 12 Apr 2009 , 3:18pm by patticakesnc

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:00am
post #1 of 4

Ok I know there are a billion questions floating around on how much to charge. What I am looking for is a ballpark. I know every area is different and I kind of have down what I charge on most things but I have NEVER done anything like this cake before.

I posted my pics and sent them out to some people and have already had two requests on it this evening.

So how much to charge? I am notorious for UNDERcharging.

The cake is 10 inch, chocolate cake with buttercream. 3 layers (so 6 in tall). Fondant planks, sugar ice and the ones I sell will have sugar beer bottles instead of real (can't be selling real ones).

So what do you think? Take into consideration I am in NC, a very SMALL town of farms. But I am right next to Lake Norman and Charlotte (both money areas).

There isn't anything around here like this so I don't want to scare people with HIGH prices but don't want to cheat me either.

3 replies
juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:56am
post #2 of 4

I'm also in a small town (but, unfortunately, I'm not anywhere near any money areas) Probably the absolute most I could get for that would be $75 - which is why I'll never do one.

ETA: I just saw your other thread where you made it. Great job! Hope you got what it's worth.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 5:07am
post #3 of 4

Thats a sculpted/carved/shaped cake what ever you want to call it, so they start at $5. I think I saw your beer bucket as well & your wood looks awesome! Your cake would be at least $6 a serving for that type cake, but like Jullebug said, if you can't get your money's worth, it's not worth doing. So, I guess the question would be what do you think your worth & do you think you can get it?

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks. I am know I am not getting its worth out of it, but I think that I am going to do them anyway if for no other reason then to help get me noticed. Once my name gets out there better then maybe I can raise my prices a little.

I guess I will look at it like a Preview Sale icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%