? About S.weinstock's Yel Cake Recipe

Decorating By Deb_ Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 2:05am by ladyonzlake

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,
I've been using her Classic Yellow cake recipe exclusively for about the past year. I had googled it and printed out the recipe off of a site called about.com home cooking

My Dh just gave me her book Sylvia Weinstock's Sensational Cakes (beautiful by the way).

In the book she lists some recipes including the Classic Yellow cake one. I've noticed that the recipes are different. The one in the book calls for 1 cup of milk and 1 tsp ginger.

The recipe I've been using doesn't call for these 2 ingredients. Now in the book it does say that they have "perfected this one over time", has anyone made this recipe with the milk and ginger?

I've mixed up some batter and have one in the oven, the batter tasted great but was a little less thick with the addition of the milk.

I'm interested to hear if any of you guys have tried it and how it compares to her original recipe. If that was her original icon_confused.gif

Thanks,
Deb

5 replies
Deb_ Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 6

Anyone?

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 6

Hmmm, you wouldn't think you would add ginger to a "yellow cake" and call it "Yellow cake"? Maybe call it "Ginger cake".

I have her Sweet Celebration book and have used her "yellow cake" recipe for some time now. While I like the flavor it tends to shrink a lot after baking. Does anyone have this same problem?

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 6

I tried it with the milk and it was dense and did not raise. the version without the milk great, but could be a little more moist, maybe (?). please let us know how it turned out for u

Deb_ Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:41am
post #5 of 6

Hi,
Well I have to say that the cake was definitely more moist with the addition of the 1 cup of milk and I didn't notice any flavor difference from the ginger, although it was only 1 tsp, so I'm not sure why she even added that to the recipe.

The cake was definitely more dense with a finer crumb, I didn't notice any difference as far as it rising less. I baked 2- 8" rounds and they rose to the top of the pans (2" high). I do use bake even strips, so maybe that helped.

ladyonzlake, yes I had the "shrinking" problem when I first started using this recipe. I now bake it at 325 and take it out when the middle is still a little soft. This has definitely stopped the shrinking problem.

All in all it was a positive result so I'll use the milk and ginger from now on.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:05am
post #6 of 6

Thanks dkelly. I do bake at 325deg in a convection oven. My other cakes do fine but this one always shrinks a lot. I guess I'll just keep playing with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%