Poor Timming!! Email Arrives 30 Minutes Before Delivery

Decorating By jlynnw Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 9:18pm by tammycake

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 10:25pm
post #31 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

This morning I got another email from her saying the cake tasted good but was upset that I did not finish the cake like she wanted, I sent you an email this afternoon with what I wanted, why did you do this to me? icon_mad.gif

I think I will just give up on cakes all together! icon_cry.gif

So she was mad that the last-minute orders that she gave you didn't get translated into the cake that you'd both been planning for two months, and that you gave her for FREE??? Yes, how malicious on your part! You obviously did do this "to her" to ruin her good time icon_rolleyes.gif

Don't give up on cakes, just give up on this so-called "friend."

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 10:34pm
post #32 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2txmedics

I would send an email back, stating that you dont check your email while your working on a cake, ESPECIALLY at the last minute...

"..... and I especially don't check my emails when I'm driving in the car on my way to deliver a cake that was finished and complete LONG before the email was sent. Please let me know if you want a full refund. Oh wait ..... IT WAS A FREAKIN FREE CAKE WASN'T IT, YA BIG DUMB MORON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Signed,

Wondering Why I'm Friends with Idiots Like You

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 10:40pm
post #33 of 53

I think you need to be making cakes for a different group of people!

There are lots of very nice customers out there that 1)appreciate the hard work and talent it takes to make classy cakes, and 2)know that kind of talent and hard work COSTS MONEY.

What's that Proverb about pearls on a pig...no more wonderful cakes for pigs!

tame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tame Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 10:59pm
post #34 of 53

Looking at your photos, you are a very good cake decorater keep up the good work and just keep doing what you are doing. 'Just let this make you a little stronger.

cathyfowler662 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyfowler662 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:26am
post #35 of 53
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2txmedics

I would send an email back, stating that you dont check your email while your working on a cake, ESPECIALLY at the last minute...

"..... and I especially don't check my emails when I'm driving in the car on my way to deliver a cake that was finished and complete LONG before the email was sent. Please let me know if you want a full refund. Oh wait ..... IT WAS A FREAKIN FREE CAKE WASN'T IT, YA BIG DUMB MORON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Signed,

Wondering Why I'm Friends with Idiots Like You

icon_lol.gif I love this!!

Lynn.....you have so much talent....I would take this opportunity and move on to bigger and better things. Your cakes look great!

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:32am
post #36 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

You should write her a nice email back and say something like, I'm really sorry that the cake didn't turn out the way that you wanted it. I was under the impression that this was what you wanted. If you had given me more notice, I could have changed the cake. But it takes about 4-6 (however many hours it takes you) to make a cake. In order for me to have changed the cake, you would have had to let me know at least 2 days in advance. I never received the email you sent stating the changes, because I was on my way, with the cake, to your party!!

You could even put something in there about how you are upset that she didn't like it because it was your gift to her and you worked very hard on it.

Hope this helps. But I would definitely tell her off in a nice way. She needs to know and understand why you didn't change it. It was HER FAULT! Not yours!

This is good advice. It sounds much nicer than what I'd be tempted to say: "You get what you pay for! And YOU'RE WELCOME you ungrateful..." You get the idea. icon_razz.gif

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:49am
post #37 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

This morning I got another email from her saying the cake tasted good but was upset that I did not finish the cake like she wanted, I sent you an email this afternoon with what I wanted, why did you do this to me? icon_mad.gif

So she was mad that the last-minute orders that she gave you didn't get translated into the cake that you'd both been planning for two months, and that you gave her for FREE??? Yes, how malicious on your part! You obviously did do this "to her" to ruin her good time icon_rolleyes.gif

How is this your fault that she is that stupid? And the cake was free! Dump her-you don't need anyone around like that.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:54am
post #38 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerMorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

How is this your fault that she is that stupid? And the cake was free! Dump her-you don't need anyone around like that.

Just to clarify, I assume that everyone can tell that my post above was heavy on the sarcasm...There's only one idiot in this scenario, and it isn't the baker, it's the moron who thinks that a free cake that she planned for two months can be altered at the last minute, and that if that doesn't happen something has been done "to her."

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:59pm
post #39 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormichel

Quote:

Thanks for all the support. It has been a bad week. I did a cake for the shop and set it up. It was the "wrong" color pink and clashed with the table cloth. they did not provide a color swatch to work with. Mother hates lilacs. They said do the cake in a variety of pastel spring flowers. That cake is covered in that crappy fonduet (use TX accent in redneck), great now we can't even eat it, it will taste like sh!*. The bought 2 dozen cuppies from Sam's. The icing was ouzing all over like a big puss filled zit! They were happy with those, but not a cake with gerber daisies, shasta daisies, lialacs, roses, carnations, daffadills, irises, little tendrils on a pink shimmer dusted cake. They called the shop and got a full refund! A FULL, 100% refund. They did not return the cake that was exactly what was ordered. I read about the bride and her idiot MOB who cancelled the check. WTF, yes, I am cursing, seriously, what the he!! is wrong with people. This is just not called for. I do the cakes at home to improve and have a fun hobby. Work, well, I get to do cakes when nobody else wants to do them, mainly fondant cakes. Otherwise it is just bag up the rolls. My mgr thinks I need to find a new profession as I don't have the skills as needed in a bakery. My DH and I talked, and Monday, I am giving notice. It may be bad in the economy, but my mental health needs it. I feel like I can make a cake that gives you all the instructions on the back of a 4x6 card, the color by product name, tip 3 and everything. What skill is that? The lead lady has a least a cake a week returned and they don't get on her. Her bc roses look like blobbs dropped on a cake. I can do better, OK, I think I can anyway. I feel it would be best to travel onward! Sorry to rant, and rant, and rant.

Thanks for the nice compliments and incouragement. I will figure something out.

In my opinon sounds like the manager and other employees are jealous of your talent. Since she says you need a new profession tells me your talents are beyond that bakery level. Remember as one door closes another opens for bigger and better opportunities. Your cakes are lovely and you have great talent. Don't let no one make you feel less that what you are worth. Be encourage tell boss tell a chill pill. Tell fiend get over it and enjoy the free cake because when business start blooming she will have to pay. icon_biggrin.gif

I thought the same thing when I read the OP's last post. Sounds like you are working in a really clicky(wrong sp., I know) place, and they are ganging up on the talented kid on the block. Sounds like pure jealousy to me. The mom hated lilacs?? They should have stated spring flowers; no lilacs. What's more spring than a lilac? Pink the wrong color? Change the tablecloth, dang it; use white.

They're trying to make you feel bad about yourself while boosting their own egos. As long as they can sense they can get away with it, they'll keep it up.

As far as your friend goes, she's another one trying to make you feel bad about yourself. Sorry, but "friends" like that one turn into baggage after a while. They want everything you can give them, but nothing is ever good enough.

You have way too much talent to even bother with idiots like this, much less allowing them to make you feel this bad.

Email to so-called friend:

Please forgive me for ruining your party by not stopping the car to check your e mail and redecorating your FREE CAKE by the side of the highway per your last minute instructions.

I realize you will never recover fully from this and I know I purposely did not decorate your FREE CAKE exactly the way you wanted it therefore ruining your party and your life. I absolutely apologize fully for causing you permanent psychological damage due to messing up your FREE CAKE.

I just wanted to let you know that I will never ruin another party for you as this will be the last FREE CAKE you will ever receive from me.

Kind Regards,

Your ex-friend
aka: The Party and FREE CAKE Wrecker

I know, dripping with sarcasm and a bit over the top but wouldn't it be fun to hit the "send" button? icon_lol.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:04pm
post #40 of 53

she called and wants another cake for her son! icon_mad.gif It is not until May and she would like to have a pirate themed party. She went to party supply and bought them out on Pirate gear. (has she even been watching the news?) A ship with a giant squid like she saw in ACD. Hello, that was like a winning designer cake by a pro, right? I know she saw the pic in ACD here but I can't even find it at the moment. Hey, I did find a few eggs though, yum, chocolate. Ok, back to post. I told her NO. I am taking off until school gets out. The kids have all kinds of up comming events (true) and I will need to be running around with them. Stop by the shop and order a cake there. Maybe one of the ladies there can do the cake. "But, they charge way toooo much. You always do the cakes, what is DS going to say when you don't give him a cake?'' I guess I will just get him a nice gift to enjoy and hope he likes it. I can not believe the nerve of some people. I don't know how to block calls but I am about to find out! DH was in the background YELLING you will never do a cake for her again. She needs to stop calling you. She is not your friend, freeloading scum is more like it. She was on speaker phone. I hope she got it. icon_twisted.gif

jlynnw Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:17pm
post #41 of 53

cakedoll I was on the phone and missed your post while I posted. icon_confused.gif Did that make sense? IDK. I did print your letter out and will keep it handy if for nothing else but to make me smile. It will go neck to Indy's on the fidge where everyone who stops by will see it. Maybe they will get the idea I just don't pull a finished cake out of the oven in 30 minutes. I am not Rachel Ray's caker, for pete's sake.

The clique at work was surprised when I handed in a very professional typed letter of resignation this morning. I did not point out why, just that I was giving 2 weeks notices and it was a pleasure working there. A bit of a fudge, but I did enjoy some parts of the job and will miss my regular customers. Especially my 4 year old boyfriend. Who doesn't love the lady that gives you a free cookie? The MGR seemed to be a bit upset as they took a fondant cake over the weekend for a grad cake and have one maybe for a wedding. I polietly let him know that I was a bakery assistant not a decorator and had been paid just about minimum for packaging items, not decorator wages. The decorators will need to make the cakes as that is why they are there, even the fondant ones if you take the orders for them. I am sure that they will be able to do a fine job as just this weekend I was to incomptent to do so and therefore, do not plan on doing them. He feels the issue is I am jealous of the decorators and their wages. In part, yes, if I do their work, I need to be paid their wage, but mostly it is just a respect thing. I got to take the rest of the day off as right after the holiday business is slow. We need 3 decorators but no one to package the goods! icon_confused.gif I get it. I bet they are making cakes and cuppies for the next holiday, right?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:18pm
post #42 of 53

I would send her an email with a detailed "receipt" listing everything that was put into the cake, and the total amount (that you would charge if she were ANY regular paying customer in your area) and then put down "discount amount" and reflect how much she DIDN'T pay for the cake and send that in the email along with something to the effect of:
"I'm so sorry I didn't get your email with the "finishing touches" you wanted on the cake, I was already on my way delivering the cake to you, I hope you can forgive me?"
Just keep it nice.....people will always remember that, long after they forget about the cake........besides once enough people ooh and ahh over the cake long after the cake has been eaten......I'm sure HER opinion of the cake will change.
You might also tell her that from now on, you'll have a deadline for changes to be made to the cake so nobody else has to go through what she's gone through........and then stick to the deadlines!!!

cakedoll Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:19pm
post #43 of 53

See?? Total baggage....but your DH was a bit more to the point with "freeloading scum". icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

What a nerve this woman has...

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:10pm
post #44 of 53

Heavens! I do that too!

Hubby will be on the phone being oh, so polite - while I'm in the background telling it like it really is, loud enough for the person to hear!

jlynnw Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:50pm
post #45 of 53

I was on the phone, speaker phone, and hubby dearest was in the background. she hasn't called back or gone to the bakery. Called a friend to warn her about the "well imformed" customer. I was just glad she realized that the cake was going to cost her. I don't know what your would charge for a pirate ship being attacked by a huge squid, but I bet it isn't $19.99 like the rest of the traditional cakes. Ahh, a lesson learned, a bit too late for her kids, but whatever. DH says I will never get the invite to the party now! I am so sad.

cakedoll Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:45pm
post #46 of 53
Quote:

cakedoll I was on the phone and missed your post while I posted. icon_confused.gif Did that make sense? IDK. I did print your letter out and will keep it handy if for nothing else but to make me smile. It will go neck to Indy's on the fidge where everyone who stops by will see it.

The clique at work was surprised when I handed in a very professional typed letter of resignation this morning. I did not point out why, just that I was giving 2 weeks notices and it was a pleasure working there. A bit of a fudge, but I did enjoy some parts of the job and will miss my regular customers. Especially my 4 year old boyfriend. Who doesn't love the lady that gives you a free cookie? The MGR seemed to be a bit upset as they took a fondant cake over the weekend for a grad cake and have one maybe for a wedding. I polietly let him know that I was a bakery assistant not a decorator and had been paid just about minimum for packaging items, not decorator wages. The decorators will need to make the cakes as that is why they are there, even the fondant ones if you take the orders for them. I am sure that they will be able to do a fine job as just this weekend I was to incomptent to do so and therefore, do not plan on doing them. He feels the issue is I am jealous of the decorators and their wages. In part, yes, if I do their work, I need to be paid their wage, but mostly it is just a respect thing. I got to take the rest of the day off as right after the holiday business is slow. We need 3 decorators but no one to package the goods! icon_confused.gif I get it. I bet they are making cakes and cuppies for the next holiday, right?

Good for you!! They are paying you WHAT?? A little over minimum....but you were good enough to do the fondant work and florals for them...then get slammed because you aren't good enough. Oh yeah, and you are jealous of the other decorators on top of it. hmmmm...sounds like he's a bit miffed because he's losing a cash cow when it comes to his fondant work. When you're gone, he's going to see his profit margins shrinking.

Glad you liked the letter. I don't do cakes for sale yet, but when I had my custom clothing business, I would write letters like this to very difficult clients. I never sent them but it sure made me feel good to put it in writing... icon_lol.gif

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 5:02pm
post #47 of 53

You create amazing cakes! This wasn;t at all your fault and you should now that... Never give up soemthing you enjoy because of the stupidity of someone else!!! Not worth it!

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:54am
post #48 of 53

So YOU weren't sitting right there by your computer just in case an email comes in to check it? How dare you!....
WHY in the sam hill did she do an email and NOT call you? I have people do that too to me. My sister will email and say "call me" when i am not even on the computer and then wonders why I haven't called her. Sometimes people are just idiots. I know it's too late but you could have just emailed her and said...."if you wanted changes then you should have called me the day before not email me ( on the chance that i might have it open) 30 min before it is to be delivered. That's like an airline emailing you 30 min before your flight takes off to tell you that you need to be at a different airport for you flight....SHE is a total idiot and doesn't deserve to have you as a friend.

JMO...teri

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:26am
post #49 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeRN

My sister will email and say "call me" when i am not even on the computer and then wonders why I haven't called her.

She must have one of those SPECIAL phones. You know, the kind that only RECEIVES calls! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

jlynnw Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:31am
post #50 of 53
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeRN

My sister will email and say "call me" when i am not even on the computer and then wonders why I haven't called her.

She must have one of those SPECIAL phones. You know, the kind that only RECEIVES calls! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif LMAO you say the funniest things. It was a bad weekend and I am glad I had this site to help out. After the check hoax and all, I feel like I can't share anymore. I am glad that 99.9% of the people are honest, sensative, supportive people. I love the quick witted ones as well.

PianoDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PianoDiva Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 6:41pm
post #51 of 53

I do cakes as a hobby, but make my living as a pianist. I have some stories I could tell about some of my music clients that would make this free cake customer look like a saint! Ugh . . .

Anyway, my tax person has a plaque in his office that I believe says it best: "A lack of planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on my part!"

Don't let her get you down; she's not worth it.

--PianoDiva

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:40pm
post #52 of 53

Hang in there, and be honest. Let her know you didn't get the email. You might need her as a reference some day.

tammycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammycake Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 9:18pm
post #53 of 53

Be sure to take all the money you are getting from the free cakes and the ones you do for minimum wage and buy a blackberry. Then you will be able to check your email at all times, even when driving. Plus, since they are paying you such much it won't be a problem when you get in an accident while driving and reading emails. It will cover all the medical expenses because I am guessing you were getting about zero health insurance with the bakery job. icon_sad.gif

But your cakes are lovely and your ability is not the problem. So if nothing else, be proud of yourself, your talent, and your willingness to be a good person by making cakes for people. I'm glad you are standing up for yourself because you don't deserve to be taken advantage of.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%