I Feel Like I Could Just Cry!!!

Decorating By k33bl3r Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 2:04am by bakingatthebeach

k33bl3r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k33bl3r Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 4

I work in a bakery at my local grocery store, and we do the CHKD thing every year. So, this year I thought it would be fun to recreate the signature CHKD blocks out of cake and gumpaste.

Yesterday I got the word that this weekend is the last weekend. I haven't prepared anything!! I was told it was the last weekend of April. FUDGE! So, after working for 9 hours, I decide to stay for another 30 minutes and just cut and base ice the blocks. Two of the blocks were choc. the other was yellow. So, I set to work. As I was icing the choclate blocks, they just fell right apart. I was mortified. I was so frustrated I decided to just throw them out and just do ONE block.

So, after an hour or struggling with my icing emotions, I set off for Wally World to get a new bag of gum paste, since I was almost out. When I get home, I dye the gum paste and start cutting out the CHKD symbol. It doesn't look right (I'm a perfectionist), so I keep working with it and working with it.

In the end, I called work and told them I couldn't finish the cake because my son's baby sitter cancelled. Which, she did, but I could have probably finished it in about 25 minutes of I'd have tried. I was just so frustrated I gave up. I went to bed at 1am mad at myself for not being able to do better.

This all scared me pretty badly because I'm doing a friend's wedding cake, and I would feel SOOOOOO bad if it turned out like those blocks were. Perhaps it was the cake? I've never had my cake that I bake fall apart like that.

UGH. Have you ever had one of those days where nothing goes right?

3 replies
tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 4

Hang in there! I believe every decorator goes through things like that. Last night I was working on a batman cake simple design, I had trouble with just about everything I came in contact with (cake, icing,etc.). I totally understand.

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:13am
post #3 of 4

I hate bad cake days they make me fill like giving up, but just keep at it for every bad day there is a good cake day icon_biggrin.gif

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:04am
post #4 of 4

Your cake will turn out great, because you are a profectionist!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%