Did I Overcharge?

Business By MomLittr Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 6:47pm by -K8memphis

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 11

I only sold 2 easter egg cakes (in my pics) this year, probably mostly because I increased it to $30 per cake. They serve 12-15, and the one has mousse filling - they are decorated in all buttercream. Was that too much?

deb
icon_sad.gif

10 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 11

Hey, cost have gone up, so it's only fair your prices have gone up too. The problem is the economy is tight on everyone, so you may not get as many people willing to pay that price. Don't fell bad, just look forward to a better future for everyone. icon_smile.gif

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 11

No not at all, just try to market to those who can still afford

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 11

I don't think so...that's around $2 a slice. Those egg cakes are great!, and the bunny cuppies are hilarious!!! Good job...and keep your head up, you're prices are right in line where they should be icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi2 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 11

Really, many people are doing without or DIY. Not many people have extra $30 for a dessert.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 11

I know the times are tough for some, but those who have the $$ will definitely pay. You can't lower your prices because of the economy...because when the economy goes back up everyone will balk that your prices have also gone up...."but you were so much cheaper before". They will just find another excuse to try to get it cheap...

I personally would pay at least $30 for that cake. I used to work in a bakery, and we charged $40 for a plain apple pie. That doesn't even take much work, esp compared to a cake!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 2:46am
post #7 of 11

I think you charged just fine!!!!

I do not get hardly any holiday orders....I think they go to the regular bakeries for their holiday desserts. I mostly get the call-weeks-ahead special occasion type cakes.

People always comment that they are sure I am busy over Easter and Christmas but actually my business goes more around which weekends have the most weddings or birthday parties, rather than holidays.

Anyway..just saying...by raising your prices you actually begin to target more specialized groups, rather than the "pick up the cake the day before the dinner party" group.

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:07am
post #8 of 11

I think you did just fine. I would have gone $5-10 higher-multiple colors, looks more involved time-wise. I have just raised my prices. I was tired of finishing a cake-looking at the time put into it & the clean up and thinking (I gave up sleep for how much money??!) I really enjoy making people happy (but not that much)

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 1:18am
post #9 of 11

i just saw an egg cake in the store today .. was a 3d egg, just half of it flat on a plate for $12

normaly i wouldn't complain but for what there was.. maybe $3 worth of supplies there including if one had made one from home with a mix. good lord.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:39pm
post #10 of 11

GenGen, my local grocery stores had that type of thing too - actually didn't look to appetizing to me, but I am now used to my cakes, fresh filling and freshly made icing.

Thanks all for your support about pricing - the cakes went over well.

deb

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:47pm
post #11 of 11

Oh Oh Oh I remembered another marketing morsel from some seminars and trade magazines.

Since the dawn of the internet we have become pin point shoppers--not impulse buyers. Ever the more so since 911 and especially ever the very very more due to our recession.

So you already made these egg cakes up? In hopes that someone would just add them to their order? Or folks just didn't order them?

It's that pin point purchase mentality as opposed to the impulse purchase I think that got yah. Yah gotta market everyting.

When someone has a celebration and they need food for it--there's the average cakers market--self generated and pin point.

It drives me crazy in the bookstore.

For example someone said, I saw a chronological bible somewhere else--you don't have any of those do you? He said, "I'm sure they'll be expensive". (me-Does this 500 sq ft store remotely resenble Target?) But so yeah I got two of those and they are half price the ones he saw but they were not hard back--give me a giant break. I have the book--it's half price but not exactly what he wanted.

Very very few people just come in and really shop. I mean as in peruse the racks and looks at everything. They breeze through and grab a Coke and nothing wrong with any of this it's just part of the psychology of shopping.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%