Smooth Icing

Decorating By dherringfarms Updated 11 Apr 2009 , 1:03pm by dherringfarms

dherringfarms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dherringfarms Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 7

I just finished my first Topsy Turvey cake and it turned out great. My only problem is getting the icing smooth. Does anyone have any foolproof techniques??

6 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 7

go on youtube and search for tonedna1. She has tons of great videos, and I love her smoothing techniques. Also search for sugaredproductions and seriouscakes, because they have great techniques too.

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 7

I agree with cakemommy3, they have great advice. I also use the viva paper towel method, works great for me. Recently I changed my buttercream recipe and I love the new one, works so well with viva!

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 7

I use viva method combined with the melvira method. I found it just takes practice. The first time I did it, I was like..this doesn't work. But the more I do it, the better they work, and the smoother my cakes get! Good luck!

Oh, and def. check out those youtube vids icon_biggrin.gif

Angela93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angela93 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 7

I need smooth frosting too! can anyone post a few of their favorite recipes to try? i would watch the videos but my sound is out on my computer....

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:19am
post #6 of 7
dherringfarms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dherringfarms Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 7

thanks so much for your help. I have to watch the youtube videos at work. I live in the country and still have dial-up and a 3 min video will literally take me 3hrs to buffer and download. I have tried the paper towel method and "it works". Thanks again!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%