Need Help With Baby Blocks Cake (Long)

Decorating By PuffCake Updated 10 Apr 2009 , 2:55pm by PuffCake

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 4

Im doing a Baby Blocks cake for a shower next week. The blocks will be 2 layers baked in 5x5x3 pans so they will be approx 5 inch cubes. Im putting 3 blocks on the board (full sheet size) and a 4th block stacked onto 2 of the bottom 3 blocks. I need some help with 3 major points:

1.  The cakes will be side by side but not touching so I think it would be impossible to ice them already in place on the board. It will be easier to ice and decorate each block separately, but if I do that each cake will need to be on a cardboard square. How then do I transfer the cakes to my foil wrapped cake board? I have to transport 30 minutes so will want them firmly planted!

2.  Do I need supports for the 1 block stacked on top of 2 blocks? Its not really that much weight, but to be safe I was planning on doing it anyway. I dont have any experience in this area. Ive read about bubble tea straws here on cc and have ordered some to put in the bottom 2 cakes to help support the top cake. Im thinking that I would want the height of the straws to be level with the top of the ICING so the top cake doesnt squish the icing of the bottom cakes?

3.  How do I cut and serve this cake? With the blocks being approx 5x5x5 I was thinking each of the 2 layers could be cut into 4 pieces and each block would serve 8. What about the filling in between the layers though? Wont it be hard to separate the top layer from the bottom layer? Maybe what I should do is torte each layer and put filling inside then put bc in the very middle. From bottom to top it would be: cake, filling, cake, bc, cake, filling, cake, bc on top. I still think it will be hard to separate the cakes in the middle though. The bc in the middle will either go with the top layer or the bottom layer.

Please help!

3 replies
vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 4

i would ice the cakes on there own boards them smear a little icing on your bottom board and sit the cakes on it the icing will keep them from sliding. You must use supports of some kind, for a cake like that I would use regular drinking straws, I just did a three tier cake on wednesday and just used my daughters bendy straws, cut off the bendy part, and it held peerfectly

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 4

I'm not much of an expert on baby block cakes, but I have done two and have to do one next week. I iced and decorated each one on its own cake board. Then I secured them into place using a dab of hot glue between the cake base board and the individual cake cardboard.

To stack, I would use wooden dowels or the bubble tea straws.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrmcc1

i would ice the cakes on there own boards them smear a little icing on your bottom board and sit the cakes on it the icing will keep them from sliding. You must use supports of some kind, for a cake like that I would use regular drinking straws, I just did a three tier cake on wednesday and just used my daughters bendy straws, cut off the bendy part, and it held peerfectly

Would bc between the boards really keep them firmly in place for a ride in the car? Would I then have to do the bottom border around each cake AFTER placed on the bottom board?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%