What Would You Do?

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 11 Apr 2009 , 12:43am by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 18

I am making a 9x13 sheet cake for a small wedding. My sister is the one picking it up and the one who placed the order. It is a surprise. There were not decorating requirements or colors, or themes. I have decided to frost it white with some gumpaste flowers in light light purple off to the upper left corner and I have also made some very light purple fondant that I used my tappit cutters and cut out their names. Now here is my question, I had envisioned using my heart cookie cutter more towards the center of the cake and piping around the hearts and putting their names inside each heart ... but would you use the same size heart cookie cutter, or one slightly bigger then the other? I had wanted them to overlap just a little, like connecting hearts if that makes sense. Also, would you put the names on the curves of the heart, or just center them in the heart? The names are Joe and Carmen. I always think I would prefer a cake with no directions, but once I get that order, I know I prefer the ones with specific directions! Any help is appreciated.

17 replies
solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 18

I would use same size cutters and write their names inside the hearts.I think you have a great design already, with the flowers and all.

TheCakerator Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 18

thank you for your reply .. would you center their names inside the hearts, or run them along the curve of the hearts? I guess it would be the inside of the hearts, on the right side.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 18

I'd probably position the hearts first how you want them and then see where the names should go...probably closer to centered, or just off to the left a bit.....

TheCakerator Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 18

thank you for your replies!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:03pm
post #6 of 18

Here is one I did that sounds kinda similar and I used a heart that I drew freehand with a toothpick leaving a bit of a line to follow, but it was different sized hearts......so at least you can see what that looks like
And this is a 1/4 sheet too

I went for the 2 different sizes only because their names were short and Congratulations is so long! lol
LL

TheCakerator Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 18

wow that is gorgeous! I don't have enough room to do something like that as I am only doing a 9x13 but it is the general idea ... thanks for all your help!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 18

that cake is a 9x13

TheCakerator Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 5:00pm
post #9 of 18

really? It looks so much bigger .. I was thinking 11X15! Regardless of size, it is very pretty!

TheCakerator Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:01pm
post #10 of 18

ok, here is what I have so far .. I feel as though it is lacking something, but I don't know what .. my dh is at work and he normally is the one to tell me when to stop or to keep going ... so I guess I am asking if I should stop, or if there is something you all think it needs? Please remember it is for a very small wedding dinner and it is a complete surprise, I was given no direction. Thanks for any ideas/suggestions!
LL

saycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saycheese Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:25pm
post #11 of 18

I think it looks great!
But if you feel it needs something...do you have any of the lavender buttercream? you could pipe some small dots in between your shell border maybe? or would that look too busy?
some scrolls?

if you choose to do nothing...it's beautiful just as it is!

TheCakerator Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:27pm
post #12 of 18

thank you! I did not make any lavender icing, those names are out of fondant .. but I do have a little bit of icing left, I could color it and add in that color somewhere ..... anyone else?

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:31pm
post #13 of 18

Cakerator..I think that is very beautiful. It's simple, yet elegant. I love the flowers, they look great!
I thought maybe it needs some lavender somewhere else too, but I kindof like it how it is.

TheCakerator Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:40pm
post #14 of 18

ok ... looks like we need a tie breaker! icon_biggrin.gif Should I put more lavender on, and if so, where?

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:39pm
post #15 of 18

bump

Sweet-Kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Kakes Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:48pm
post #16 of 18

I would use some lavender to define the hearts a bit more. I think maybe if you use like a tip 3, and pipe some lavender on the hearts, maybe like a bead going around on top of them (if that makes sense) it would be pretty.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 12:01am
post #17 of 18

How about lavender dots on the side between the top border and the bottom border? Not too many, just a few.

TheCakerator Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 12:43am
post #18 of 18

thank you for all the great replies! My dh got home from work and told me to drop the icing bag .. so I guess I am done with it ... I think they will be happy, as long as they don't hate purple! icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%