Ok Very Angry...stop Payment Day Of Wedding

Business By dsevans Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 6:03pm by indydebi

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:11pm
post #871 of 1040

Ok, I had the same feeling all along as cakesdivine, and have been lurking the whole 50+ pages. I went to dsevans site as soon as the topic came up and saw one not so great cake, but as everyone here tries to be positive and support each other, I kept my mouth shut. I also agree the website and even the picture of the pink and purple cake dont go together. Also on Easter sunday dont know what page but a fellow cc'er says wheres hte update devans is shown as browsing on this very forum-not sure where you can get that info-but anyway after that post, I refreshed and lo and behold theres ds with the update.
I find it hard to believe that a mother(MOG) would disown her own son and walk out on his weddingday. No matter what.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:13pm
post #872 of 1040

Okay - this has been bothering me since I saw the pic was posted by the OP.
Does anyone else think this looks like it has had the hue adjusted in PhotoShop?
Original Pic
Here it is in white:
LL

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:14pm
post #873 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmom

I find it hard to believe that a mother(MOG) would disown her own son and walk out on his weddingday. No matter what.

Yeah you're right---but mog I guess got all the cake balls in the family huh?

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:14pm
post #874 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

You guy are cracking me up with your hoax accusations. I love you all, and am not ragging at you, but I have to say, if not one word of OP's is true, what does that change? We have all been greatly entertained by this thread, and it didn't cost the $10 movie ticket and the $43 for popcorn and soda! icon_lol.gif It's not like someone is really duping us into something, is it? I don't care if it's true or not, I enjoyed reading it and appreciate all the fun 'free of charge'. thumbs_up.gif

'zactly

juleebug Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:16pm
post #875 of 1040

Wanted to add, before someone suggests that OP was posting a doctored photo of the inspiration cake that OP stated she "made all those roses herself and hand piped the yellow centers"

cakesnpies1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnpies1 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:20pm
post #876 of 1040

Have been following the saga.. The cake is beautiful and the bride well... lets hope she learns a lesson. You have to take this to court. It set an example to others. Hope you had a wonderful Easter. Thank you for sharing this. It will serve as an example to all of us cakers.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:23pm
post #877 of 1040

detective.gif
Wedding on Good Friday?
Let's jump on this point

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:24pm
post #878 of 1040

Ok, I was into this story until the part where the MOG took back the ring and walked out on her son.................now I am sure there are some MOG who hate the new daughter-in-law and would embarass/disgrace her son by doing this, but isn't that rare? Just not showing up to the wedding would have been better if that is the case. No matter how angry I was at my son, would never do that in front of family and friends. If this is a true story, maybe the folks at the venue embelished what happened a little.

Deb

nicolepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolepa Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:25pm
post #879 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

You guy are cracking me up with your hoax accusations. I love you all, and am not ragging at you, but I have to say, if not one word of OP's is true, what does that change? We have all been greatly entertained by this thread, and it didn't cost the $10 movie ticket and the $43 for popcorn and soda! icon_lol.gif It's not like someone is really duping us into something, is it? I don't care if it's true or not, I enjoyed reading it and appreciate all the fun 'free of charge'. thumbs_up.gif

I love ya Mel!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:27pm
post #880 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouchet82

detective.gif
Wedding on Good Friday?
Let's jump on this point

Not unusual. I wouldn't call this a red flag.

starra328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starra328 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:28pm
post #881 of 1040
Quote:

detective.gif
Wedding on Good Friday?
Let's jump on this point

If your not religious it just a friday.

pouchet82 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:33pm
post #882 of 1040

Maybe I am just an ignorant Jew (very very possible) but is it really that common to have a wedding on a Friday?

pouchet82 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:33pm
post #883 of 1040

Maybe I am just an ignorant Jew (very very possible) but is it really that common to have a wedding on a Friday?

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:36pm
post #884 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleebug

Does anyone else think this looks like it has had the hue adjusted in PhotoShop?
Original Pic
Here it is in white:

holy crap!

i started wondering about it too....when she talked about the cakes in the wal mart boxes...

wal mart boxes just look like cake boxes....they don't say wal mart on them.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:36pm
post #885 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleebug

I had the same thought, it didn't look"right"

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:41pm
post #886 of 1040

I'd love to be in the bank when the bride shows up to deposit her wedding gift checks, and all the bank employees glare at her. Even better--wouldn't it be great if a brazen bank employee says, "Your wedding cake was the most beautiful and delicious confection I've ever seen and tasted!"

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:41pm
post #887 of 1040

Juleebug...Where did you find the White version? Or did you adjust it in photoshop. To me it looks like a clipped photo cake on a black background. I am going to search through all my graphic programs to see if there is a stock cake photo of this.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:41pm
post #888 of 1040

Ok, add more fuel to the dr'd cake fire...she says it pink and purple but it just looks lavendar"y" all over and I've never done gumpaste roses, but dont you usually use those little beaded stamens, not "hand piped" AND she says thanks whoever came up with the photobooth idea(which is a trifold cardboard with fabric draped over it)....this picture doesnt have a background, its blacked out.

indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:42pm
post #889 of 1040
Quote:

yes, it is. Sat is still the most popular day, but many get married on Friday night so they can have the WHOLE weekend for the honeymoon.

As a guest, I always hated Friday night weddings, though. Had to get off of work, pick up the kid at daycare, RUSH to get the kid home, line up a sitter or get kid cleaned up/dressed up, then fight 5:00-6:00 traffic to get to the wedding. Real PITA. And of course the wedding magazines put their spin on it with "you can leave work and go straight to the wedding! Ain't that quick and easy!" Obviously written for the single, no-kid 20 somethings or the DINKS (double income no kids) crowd.

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:44pm
post #890 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLittr

Ok, I was into this story until the part where the MOG took back the ring and walked out on her son.................now I am sure there are some MOG who hate the new daughter-in-law and would embarass/disgrace her son by doing this, but isn't that rare? Just not showing up to the wedding would have been better if that is the case. No matter how angry I was at my son, would never do that in front of family and friends. If this is a true story, maybe the folks at the venue embelished what happened a little.

Deb

My cousin's son was getting married. My cousin did not like the BTB. At the reception after my cousin already had paid for the venue, the groom and his mom (my cousin) had heated words and my cousin left the reception. Groom's sister heard about the argument, walked up to groom, slapped him across the face, and also left the reception.
Yep, stuff like this really does happen!
BTW- groom didn't talk to mom or sister for several years.....

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:46pm
post #891 of 1040

Ok those two cakes are exactly the same in lavendar and white. The flowers are even in the same place. Even if she had been given a picture of the white one to follow how did she get it exactly like it? No one is that perfect. I'm not saying that the story is untrue just a little odd. I could see the MOG taking her ring back but why leave the wedding. I would stay and when the preacher asked was there anyone who opposed this marriage I would speak up. Also if the MOG offered to pay I would have taken the cake to the venue. I would want my money because $550 is alot of money to be turning down on principle. I would have taken the cake or told them I had other deliveries and they could pick the cake up. Also I have transported a 4 tier wedding cake and it was so nerve wrecking. Do people actually transport 6 tier wedding cakes? How would it fit in the car or van? Do they have a delivary van for this? OK I have alot of questions now. If the story is true than good for you OP for standing up for yourself and thank God you didnt get stiffed on your money and end up with no cake!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:46pm
post #892 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

yes, it is. Sat is still the most popular day, but many get married on Friday night so they can have the WHOLE weekend for the honeymoon.

As a guest, I always hated Friday night weddings, though. Had to get off of work, pick up the kid at daycare, RUSH to get the kid home, line up a sitter or get kid cleaned up/dressed up, then fight 5:00-6:00 traffic to get to the wedding. Real PITA. And of course the wedding magazines put their spin on it with "you can leave work and go straight to the wedding! Ain't that quick and easy!" Obviously written for the single, no-kid 20 somethings or the DINKS (double income no kids) crowd.

Totally agree! And then there are people like me. I got married on a Sunday night. The whole idea that there is something fishy about a wedding on Good Friday is a non-issue, if you ask me.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:47pm
post #893 of 1040

The yellow centers on the flowers can be "photo-shopped" - I just thought it was bad lighting and a bad camera

icon_eek.gif

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:48pm
post #894 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

i started wondering about it too....when she talked about the cakes in the wal mart boxes...

wal mart boxes just look like cake boxes....they don't say wal mart on them.

I thought it was referencing the price tag sticker that says "Wal-Mart" on it. If it was last minute, I assumed they just picked up some sheet cakes that were ready-to-sell and were already priced like that.

DSevans, I have read all of your posts (I skipped a lot of the speculations just for time's sake), and if the story is true, which I tend to think it is, then I'm sorry this happened to you but it's a good lesson to the rest of us. Your cake was beautiful and your bank a lifesaver. If it's a made-up story, then I commend you for your creativity! It was just juicy enough to get us all riled up, and you should be proud! icon_wink.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:48pm
post #895 of 1040
Quote:

LOL!! One of my sisters was married on a Friday evening so it's not that unusual to us crazy Catholics! icon_biggrin.gif

My DH's cousin was married yesterday (Easter Sunday) in NC, but not a church wedding just a garden one.

Everyone needs to check out the OP's website. Is she an Event Planner or baker/decorator? or Both? hmmmmmmmm, Where are all the cake pictures?

juleebug Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:49pm
post #896 of 1040

cakesdivine - I just adjusted the Saturation in my photo program by about 30%.

bbmom - It actually does have fabric in the background, it's just very hard to see the folds. If you look in the right hand corner, you can make them out.

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:49pm
post #897 of 1040

I believe CCer's have been duped. I found the "actual" cake that the OP posted. It's from Heidelberg cakes in Australia. Here's the link, http://www.heidelbergcakes.com.au/d399/6-tier-cake-with-sugar-roses. I had suspicions from the beginning.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:51pm
post #898 of 1040
Quote:

I didn't think it was all that common either, but I have two Friday weddings and a Sunday wedding this spring. Both of those were kind of different in my mind.

And, there are people who do not care about 'inopportune moments' to express their feelings. When they have had enough they have had enough. And sometimes it's at a place like a wedding or funeral where emotions are already riding high. Sometimes that's when a person cracks.

Not saying the story is true or isn't, just saying it's not impossible.

And lets not hammer the OP's 'talent' too hard yet, how embarassing if she is a legit member and now feels like some of us are calling her 'marginally talented' or 'amateurish' or something mean like that. icon_redface.gif There is someone on this site whom I like, and who is totally legit, but all the work on their website looks like it was done by a blind monkey. I'm just sayin'. icon_confused.gif

Oh, and at my local walmart there ARE walmart labels on the boxes, but really the OP just said they'd display them in their walmart boxes, didn't say whether or not they said "walmart" on them, did she? And that may have just been her guess. (If I were speaking of someone buying something from Sears I might say they pulled the item out of their Sears bag, though I have no idea what their bags look like.) Essentially she was just saying that it would look tacky serving them right from the box. Regardless of what the box says, I agree that would look tacky. Unless it was some fancy box that was made to be part of the display, KWIM? Again, I have no idea if it's legit or just a good romp through fairyland, but I enjoyed it. Admit it, we were all riveted. And at least for ONCE this one had an ending where the caker wins (sort of). I get so tired of us always taking it in the end.

I have to say though... y'all are good at cracking these 'cases'. We need to start our own PI biz because you guys don't miss a detail! And if someone is full of it, you know how to bust 'em. It must be the eye for details that caking encourages.

sarah0418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah0418 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:51pm
post #899 of 1040

I totally thought that coloring on the pic of her cake didn't look quite right from the start!!! The color is WAY to uniform, and actually, i never really liked how the color looked anyway. Very strange, I too agree, something doesn't smell quite right. I was also wondering why the "bad" check was cashed when the OP was expecting payment after the wedding.....hmmmmm

indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:53pm
post #900 of 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC

I believe CCer's have been duped. I found the "actual" cake that the OP posted. It's from Heidelberg cakes in Australia. Here's the link, http://www.heidelbergcakes.com.au/d399/6-tier-cake-with-sugar-roses. I had suspicions from the beginning.

Oh no. Now I'm sad. icon_cry.gif

And I really liked that MOG, too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%