Getting Used To My 20 Quart Mixer...

Business By loriemoms Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 12:26pm by loriemoms

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:53am
post #1 of 5

Ok, I got my batter down pretty well for my new mixer (converting everything to do such larger volume!) but I have noticed my buttercream is still not quite there. (I seem to need to add more sugar or something) I make an all hi ratio shortening buttercream. Do you need to use less shortening for these big mixers since they whip up so nicely? (I have an anvil) I used to whip my buttercream for 10-15 minutes in my kitchenaid and I now do it for 5 minutes in the Anvil (low speed) Am I crazy or does buttercream work differently in a big mixer?

4 replies
snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 5

It is different. In general for a nice texture, do it longer on a lower spreed .

loriemoms Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 5

I did figure it out...I use less shortening and it came out perfect. I love this thing, made a huge batch for 25 dozen cupcakes..that would have been a major major pain with a kitchenaid!

No-goodLazyBum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
No-goodLazyBum Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 5

Not intending to hijack the thread but how did you scale your recipe to use in a larger mixer? Did you increase by weight, by volume, or a combination of both?

loriemoms Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:26pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by No-goodLazyBum

Not intending to hijack the thread but how did you scale your recipe to use in a larger mixer? Did you increase by weight, by volume, or a combination of both?

I always do my recipes by weight. I have found measuring cups to be not only a pain, but some of them aren't accurate!!

I did find though that increasing by just doubling weight, things like that, gave different results. So I had to experiement.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%