New To The Fondant World

Decorating By BergeronMom Updated 10 Apr 2009 , 2:15am by cserwa

BergeronMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BergeronMom Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 13

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the site and also new to the fondant world. I've seen lots of vids on youtube and I've read and favorited lots of recipes so far on this site.

The only thing I'm a little confused about and I know may be a silly question, but I had to ask, is how to make the fondant stick on your cake? And also how to make the fondant decorations stick on your cake? Is it just water? I know there's something else, but I can't figure out what.

Thanks in advance!

Also I wanted to know what type of icing do you use to put on the cake before adding the fondant? Not the regular cake frosting, right?

Thanks again everyone. Again, I know silly questions, but I want to ask them before making a mistake while trying to make a fondant cake.

Have a good one.

12 replies
kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 13

A thin layer (or thick, depending on who you ask, it all depends on what you like!) of buttercream (yes, regular frosting) is applied to the cake first. This helps the fondant stick to the cake. You CAN use water to get fondant decorations to stick, but don't use very much, as it can drip and take a while to dry. You could also use vanilla, lemon extract or vodka, as these will evaporate much quicker.

Good luck!

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 13

First off, welcome to CC!
Yes, you can add fondant to buttercream. Just stick it on there. If the bc has already crusted, you can dab some more buttercream icing on the back of the fondant if you want.
When rolling out fondant, you should always cover your work area, either with cornstarch, powder sugar, or a tiny bit of shortening. that way it won't stick and rip.
Also, if you are coving a whole cake in fondant, make sure you put it on the cake as soon as you get done rolling it out. Otherwise it will start to harden, and be much harder to do.
Check out tonedna's youtube videos. I'm sure someone has a link to it for you!They help a lot!

BergeronMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BergeronMom Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks so much for quick responses! You guys are fast here! Thanks so much. I kept hearing everyone say buttercream, but would only see the vids that were using homemade buttercream. I kept thinking, wow I don't know if I can do that. LOL......Thanks so much.

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 13

Welcome,

First, yes any buttercream works. Wilton, Swiss Merengue, Chocolate, again any icing works under the fondant.

Now to stick the fondant decorations, I use one of two things. Vodka or piping gel. I find that the flat decorations work well with the piping gel, the sculpted ones I use vodka, I know that some use vanilla but if it happens to drip you can get a stain from the vanilla (unless you are using clear imitation vanilla, not a big fan of it. That's just me.) I also use the vodka to "paint" on fondant if I am going to paint any details, I use it to thin out the colors.

As for making my own fondant. I make Marshmallow fondant. I know that there is a recipe in the recipe section but it is very simple.

marshmallow
powdered (confectioners) sugar
water
flavoring
shortening

that's it. Look it up in the recipe section you will find the amounts.

Have fun with fondant. I love it, once I did one cake I was hooked.

Bea

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 13

Hi, welcome to CC and welcome to the World of Fondant!!!

As all the pp's have said, the fondant sticks to the buttercream so yes, it's regular icing that you use. I use MMF (marshmallow fondant), the same recipe already mentioned (available on this site). It's inexpensive to make and actually tastes pretty good! As for sticking the decorations to the fondant, I've used the piping gel method, the water method, and I've used a dab of buttercream as well. It just takes practice so have fun -- CC is an indispensable resource!! icon_biggrin.gif

~Sarah

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 13

using fondant is the best thing, ever! my hubby calls it 'cake play dough'. i will admit, i used wilton's to begin w/, adding clear vanilla to give it extra flavor. and used my kids' cakes for practice! they are great guinna pigs! very understanding...good luck! and have fun - that's the most important part.

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 13

Do you buy or make the piping gel?

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:41pm
post #9 of 13

I just by the Wilton piping gel, available pre-made in the craft stores.

~Sarah

cserwa Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:44pm
post #10 of 13

Awesome! Thank you! And do you just use so little that no one tastes it?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:26pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cserwa

Awesome! Thank you! And do you just use so little that no one tastes it?

Yes. Using too much will also just cause your fondant pieces to slide.

islandgirl72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
islandgirl72 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 12:20am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cserwa

Do you buy or make the piping gel?

I found this recipe on the net and made my own because it was not available where I live. It was really easy to do and now I have it in the fridge for whenever I need it.

2 envelopes (2 tablespoons) Knox unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons cold water
2 cups light Karo syrup

1. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a small saucepan and let set for about 5 minutes. Heat on low until the gelatin has become clear/dissolved - DO NOT BOIL.

2. Add the syrup and heat thoroughly.

3. Cool and store, refrigerated, for up to 2 months.

To Color: Add coloring paste/gel or food coloring drops to get desired color.

To Use: Put in icing bag, plastic squeeze bottle and decorate

cserwa Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:15am
post #13 of 13

Awesome tips, and thank you so much for the tips and the recipe! This website is the best because of people like you guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%