Last Minute Cake Left Up To Me?

Decorating By kellertur Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 10:20pm by djs328

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 11

Hello,
I received a last minute cake order last night (although I did squeeze an extra day out of her) for a birthday cake (her daughter).

She wants me to choose the flavor and design... Well, I atleast got a few of her daugther's favorites and she has no allergies, but I'm sticking with chocolate.

What would you do if a design was left up to you? Normally I'd be excited, but it's last minute and it's only an 8" cake.

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

10 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 11

How old is the daughter? Kid or adult?

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 11

How old is her daughter?

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 11

what are some of her favorites? did she give favorite colors? if so, you could go w/ stripes, polka dots or cut out circles in two or three of these colors that work together.

kakeladi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi2 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 11

Yah, we new a bit more info as cake-pro saidicon_smile.gif Also what are the favorites you were told?

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 11

What "favorites" did she mention? Is there anything you've been wanting to try?

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 11

omg, I just had the SAME exact thing happen to me. She calls me late Monday night, wanting a cake for Wednesday. I asked what she wanted, and she said, it's up to me...just something colorful with a big 1 on top. I was actually real excited to get to design it myself. So I made a rice krispie 1 on top, then cut out his name in fondant for the top, and put numbers and stars all around. She ended up raving about it for like 10 minutes before I finally got out of her house!
Anyway, what are her daughter's favorites? Maybe then we can help out better!!

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 11

Forgive me, I'm on almost NO sleep and got up at 3:30 am to take my DH to work so I could have the car today. icon_redface.gif

She is an adult (college, I think). The daughter had some of my cake at a friend's house and the mother said she LOVED it. It was cookies & cream, I think. Her favorites are: choc, vanilla, carrot (but I'm not making another carrot cake this week). icon_razz.gif I'm thinking of doing that C & C or filling the choc cake with caramel... I made caramel last night and it would be easy to do. I also made the choc rounds last night and froze them.

The mother wouldn't give me anything to go on... just kept saying:
"Whatever you want... she likes everything... you decide." This leaves me open to possible issues if she doesn't like it. I've documented everything (I have all customers sign EVERY receipt and I keep the signed copy for times like this.)

I figure she likes animals because she is just now getting into animal rights but still eats meat (trying a veg diet- it's not easy). I don't want to use that theme though... it's just too weird. icon_confused.gif

Paranoid? Maybe... but in this day and age you can't be too sure. I'm just not sure what to do for a design... I don't want to do something boring OR massively labor intensive... icon_confused.gif

Thank you all~ icon_smile.gif

clovely Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 11

Could you do something cute with her name since she didn't give you much of anything to go on? I like the idea of the chocolate and caramel (since you've already got it). She didn't tell you colors she likes or anything?? Do you have any icing or fondant laying around? USE IT UP! icon_smile.gif Or just make a gift-box look - slap a bow on the top and say "Happy Birthday".

clovely Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:51pm
post #10 of 11

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1322198&done=2

Just came across these cupcakes and thought maybe just a big gerbera daisy on top like this. Ice it green and put a giant pink daisy on top. Just a thought.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 10:20pm
post #11 of 11

Had a very "whatever you want" request last week for a college-aged girl...did choc icing with pink swirly flowers piped on with white dots to accent...was kind of modern in terms of colors but still girly b/c of the flowers...I vote swirls & dots - always a winner in my book! And it's fairly quick to do...
icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%