I'm Lost (Vent)

Decorating By BitsnBites Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 10:32pm by DyMakesCake

BitsnBites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BitsnBites Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 25

Hi all. I just need to get some stuff off my chest so maybe I can relax. So, my 2 yrs old party is on Saturday and I decided to make a carved cake in the shape of green eggs and ham covered in michele fosters fondant. Let me just clarify I have never made fondant, never worked with fondant (except one wilton class), never carved a cake or made a scratch cake torted and filled. AND I don't like cake and I've never had or seen a fondant cake. PLUS i'm an uber perfectionist. To top it all off tomorrow all the stores are closed for Good Friday icon_cry.gif

I am such a moron for trying to do all this. You guys make it look so easy. I'm just so lost as to what a Fondant covered, vanilla buttercream filled, yellow cake is supposed to taste like. Everything tastes like a sugary mess to me icon_redface.gif

24 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 25

Hi there, I really know how you feel. Please don't get angry with yourself for trying to do these things. If you don't try doing certain things, you'll never learn. When I have something new to try, I always make them for family and friends. SO don't be ashamed!

Have you finished doing the cake now? Do you have cake decoration shop near by? so you can some and do it again?

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 25

just take it one step at a time, you should probably bake today so you can carve tomorrow and still leave time to decorate . good luck

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 25

Please, please just remember cake and icing is *suppose* to be sweet. That is the nature of it......dessert; sweet desserticon_smile.gif That might be the reason you 'never liked cake'.

Since shops are closing, you will have to work with what you have on hand. If things are just not working out Can you change your plan some? Maybe use b'cream instead of fondant? Simplify you design?
You really don't say exactly what is the problem. What isn't working out? Are you having trouble covering the cake w/the fondant? Or carving it? I can't help w/that! - I'm don't carve cakes much.
Maybe we can help. But if it's taste, well that's just a very personal thing and not many are going to be able to help with that icon_smile.gif

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 25

I'm sure you'll be fine, you will certainly get a lot of help here

BitsnBites Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 25

The cakes are baked and frozen and the fondant is resting in the fridge (I don't know if the consistency is the correct one). Today I'm making the buttercream and torting the cake and filling and freezing so tomorrow I want to do the carving. I don't have a decorating store nearby, it takes me 1 hr to get there.

Thank you so much guys, seeing your calm replies really calmed me down, lik "ok, so maybe i'm not that behind". Any other tips I would really appreciate.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:28pm
post #7 of 25

I think you can successfully do this with not one item from your "cake shop". You can make MFF (unless you can't get glycerine at grocery where you are) or try a batch of MMF, get food coloring, and your cake ingredients from the grocery store. Since you are in a pinch, you can make base for your cake from a dinner plate or anything you have at home that is food safe.....and if ain't, wash it and wrap well with Press and Seal. You can do it!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 25

Bashini said it......if you don't try new things, you will never learn. Do you baking now, torte, carve and crumb coat your cake Friday - ice on Sat. I've only done a few carved cakes but each time it get a little easier.

Check a little further on CC for video's or tutorials on carved cakes - maybe make a search for green eggs and ham..... someone else may have done a simular cake.

Family and friends are your best ginny pigs..... because we are our own worst critic.

Your cake will be great and everyone will love it. Happy Birthday to your little one...... . Post pictures

bashini Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:39pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by meegh

The cakes are baked and frozen and the fondant is resting in the fridge (I don't know if the consistency is the correct one). Today I'm making the buttercream and torting the cake and filling and freezing so tomorrow I want to do the carving. I don't have a decorating store nearby, it takes me 1 hr to get there.

Thank you so much guys, seeing your calm replies really calmed me down, lik "ok, so maybe i'm not that behind". Any other tips I would really appreciate.

meegh, after reading your reply, looks like you are well organised. It is very nerveracking when you do things for the first time. But I'm sure you are going to be fine!

Good Luck and looking forward to seing the photos! icon_wink.gif

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 25

The pp's are right, if you never try you'll never learn and never know if making cakes is something you enjoy! It can definitely be frustrating, especially in the beginning, but it takes lots and lots of practice. That's hard for us perfectionists, but it's a valuable lesson. icon_biggrin.gif It does sound like you're organized and on track -- just be patient and most of all, enjoy your little one's special day!

~Sarah

BitsnBites Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:45am
post #11 of 25

Thank you guys for all you advice, it helped so much. Here is the final result.
I made a lot of mistakes, but I learned so much. My son and his friends loved it, especially that it was green inside also. The eggs are the candles.

I have another cake to make for next saturday, so hopefully it will turn out better icon_biggrin.gif
LL

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:24am
post #12 of 25

Wow that really came out great. I can't believe it's your first carved cake with fondant.

See, you can do it!

Nice job! icon_biggrin.gif

bashini Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:49am
post #13 of 25

Wow! its absolutely fantastic! YOu have really wel! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:21am
post #14 of 25

What a fabulous cake! I really love it icon_smile.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:30am
post #15 of 25

Your first carved cake...??????? icon_surprised.gif It's wonderful! And your painting of the details is just right. You have lots of natural talent....don't stop!!!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:09am
post #16 of 25

meegh u don't fool me pretending to be a novice, lol,now start baking and post us some more pics,that was perfect. thumbs_up.gif

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:37pm
post #17 of 25

WOW great job!!

BitsnBites Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:47pm
post #18 of 25

Thank you guys. I am now getting ready to tackle my 2nd cake. I was thinking of doing a plain round one, but you guys gave me confidence to try out another carved cake icon_biggrin.gif

bashini Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:49pm
post #19 of 25

Well DOne, meegh! icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:58pm
post #20 of 25

Looking forward to seeing your next terrific creationicon_smile.gif

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:04pm
post #21 of 25

meegh that cake is wonderful. You should be proud. Great work, I wish I had such talent!!

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:06pm
post #22 of 25

meegh ~ You should be sooo proud of yourself!! Your first carved cake and your first fondant covered project ~ if that's what your first looks like, I can't imagine what your 2nd, 7th, 12th, etc. will look like!
Great Job! thumbs_up.gif

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:10pm
post #23 of 25

That is amazing! icon_smile.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:17pm
post #24 of 25

great job

DyMakesCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DyMakesCake Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 10:32pm
post #25 of 25

That's your first carved cake?!?! It's awesome! I have yet to attempt a carved cake but when I do I hope it's at least half as good as this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%