Waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By PianoDiva Updated 11 Apr 2009 , 4:26pm by Franluvsfrosting

PianoDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PianoDiva Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:04am
post #1 of 18

I have to decorate 30 cupcakes for my son's kindergarten class and a 1/4 sheet cake for my daughter's 4th grade class; both are having Easter parties in the morning. It's 1 AM. I just ran out of powdered sugar and have yet to frost the cupcakes. icon_cry.gif

At least the 1/4 sheet is done. It has purple edible glitter on top, five lavender royal icing crosses and a sprinkling of lavender RI drop flowers with silver dragees in their centers. I'll get up at 6 AM, run to the store and buy more powdered sugar--and lots of COFFEE for me so I can finish these! The cupcakes were supposed to have a simple swirl of white buttercream, a sprinkling of white edible glitter, and three lavender RI drop flowers in the center. Simple but pretty.

My husband thinks it's time to start buying the 50 lb bags of powdered sugar from Costco. I think he's right. I also think I'm going to bed; there's nothing else I can do tonight!

--PianoDiva

17 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:15am
post #2 of 18

Gah! Well I hope you are currently enjoying a little sleep and can get the rest of the job tackled in the morning. It sounds like you only have the cupcakes left, I'll bet you can power thru those. Sorry about the pantry malfunction! icon_wink.gif

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:23am
post #3 of 18

hang in there and enjoy your sleep! It's 3:23 am here in Iowa and I'm hoping my royal icing on my cookies for an 8am delivery will dry! Ok, one more cookie and back at it! Can you sift cocoa over the top of the cupcakes? Just a thought as sleep deprivaiton sets in!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:34am
post #4 of 18

I'm sure you'll be fine,hang in there but try and get some sleep though.

candynumber1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candynumber1 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:36am
post #5 of 18

Well night night icon_smile.gif You'll be refreshed in the morning and finish those cupcakes in no time. Been there, done that! Post pics!

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:25pm
post #6 of 18

I just bought my first 50lb bag of PS. @ Sams for $25.14. It's Domino also. I gotta figure out how to store all this! But I'm happy it will be at my fingertips also!
I bet your cake and cupcakes are cute! Post us a pic when you can. Good luck!

Chippi

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:29pm
post #7 of 18

I just had a cake disaster that kept me up until all hours of the morning myself lol. You gotta do what you goota do. I have never seen 50lbs bags of powdered sugar, but I sure would buy em if I did! I buy the 7lb bags of it from Sam's and always have at least one of those on hand, 2 when I KNOW I will be making a cake.

I bet it will all come out great!

RandomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RandomCakes Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 18

I also buy the 7# bags at Sam's. I found these things called QuickSeals at the grocery store, they are basically the top of a ziploc bag (with a slider) and sticky tape at the bottom, you put them on the top of bags (cereal, chips, in this case, PS) and they make your bag ziptop. I did this for my PS, boy did it make a mess when I tried to get more out. The overlap of the actual top of the bag made PS go everywhere.

I keep saying I'm going to take my kitchen scale (which I never use) and put some parchment or wax paper down, measure out my PS into 2#s and put them in individual ziploc bags, because (almost) every recipe I have calls for 2# of sugar. I keep telling my DH that I am going to do this, but never get around to it.

If I can find the 50# bag at Sam's, I might just do this. Individual bags are easier to store, plus then I know if I am making 2 batches of BC and 2 of Fondant, I will need 4 bags.

Just thought this might help others!

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:30pm
post #9 of 18

I can only find the 7# bags of PS at our Sams. How do you store your flour and sugar? I use 5 gallon buckets from walmart. Wash them out very well, be sure to buy the lid too! Then mark it. i use different color pails so I don't get them confused. Ok, so maybe I did still mess them up, but I'm not going to admit to anything! I did manage to get 2 hours or so of sleep. Up at 6:30 and been on the go! So I can't sit long or I'm afraid the snoring may start! More baking to do! I Love my job!!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:08pm
post #10 of 18

I store flour, sugar, powdered sugar, etc in 3 and 5 gallon pails. The ones I'm using are in 3 pound coffee cans.

Boy, wish I could find 25 pound powdered sugar bags.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 7:19pm
post #11 of 18

I just got a sam's membership this past Tuesday. Went mainly to buy bettercream, waited 30 minutes for the baker to get off her break..and they were all out icon_mad.gif
I couldn't find the 50 lb bags of ps either, so I just bought some 7 lb instead. But at any given moment, i have at least 8 2 lb bags in stock. plus now the three 7 pounders. I made the mistake of running out once, and now it won't happen again!!

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 8:05pm
post #12 of 18

I just got my 50lb of ps in storage. I bought 2 of the 5 gal buckets at walmart, white ones, cleaned them then pourrrred PS! Then scooped the last bit into 3 gallon bags and measured them in 4 c bags. Now I can truly say I know what 50lbs of PS looks like!!! I'm a nurse and I'm interviewing tomorrow for a position at the county jail, I hope they don't look up my nostrils!!! I might be booked in 2.2 secs. hahaha

Have a nice Easter everyone!
Chippi

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 4:32am
post #13 of 18

I buy 50# bags of flour, sugar and grains all the time (I grind my own wheat). I use the food grade 5 gal. buckets to store them in too. The cool thing I use for the buckets though are gamma seal lids. They have a ring that snaps onto the top of the bucket and is permanent. Then there is the lid which is fitted with a rubber gasket. It screws into the ring that is snapped onto the bucket. Now you have an easy to open/close bucket that is bug proof, water tight and air proof. They're between $6-10 each unless you can buy a bulk quantity (or have access to ordering from Azure Standard who sells them cheap!) But they are worth every penny IMO. Google Gamma Seal Lids if you don't know what I'm talking about. icon_smile.gif

Franluvsfrosting Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 4:39am
post #14 of 18

Oh, and so I don't get them mixed up but can change the contents if I need to I just put a label on the side of the bucket and one on the top. Write what you have in there on the labels and you never have to try to remember what bucket has what stuff. I do a label on the side as well as the top because sometimes the buckets are stacked and that way I can still see what's in them without unstacking all of them. You can get gamma seal lids in different colors though if you want to.

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 4:51am
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

I store flour, sugar, powdered sugar, etc in 3 and 5 gallon pails. The ones I'm using are in 3 pound coffee cans.

Boy, wish I could find 25 pound powdered sugar bags.

Do you have Smart N Final stores where you are? I buy powdered sugar there when I need a ton of it and I think they are 25 lb bags, but it's late and my mind is slowly turning off, but they are a good size.

HTH

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 4:59am
post #16 of 18

Our Sams only has 7lb bags also so I go to Gordon Food Service they have a 25lb bag. my DH hates when I run out of something cause he knows I'm gonna send him for it.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 3:59pm
post #17 of 18

No Smart and Final here Linda, but I did locate a Food Service supply. I'll check to see if they will sell to me, or if I need to be a restaurant. I hope they will - I'm tired of 4 pound bags of powdered sugar.
Thanks for the idea.

Franluvsfrosting Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:26pm
post #18 of 18

I'm in the Pacific NW too and I buy my powdered sugar, flour (cake & bread), regular sugar, etc at Cash N Carry. They have 50 lb bags at good prices and usually have a few brand options. I can get superfine granulated sugar in big bags too. Not to mention they have tons of the flavored coffee syrups for under $4 a bottle and I like to use those as moistening syrups on my cakes. They have pastry pride too if you use that. (I've never tried it but someday when I do I know where to get it!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%