Charge For A 6" Cutting Cake On A Cupcake Tower?

Business By btrsktch Updated 11 Apr 2009 , 10:52pm by luvsfreebies72

btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:53am
post #1 of 19

When you have done a cupcake tower, is there a price you charge for the 6" cutting cake, or do you give it away free with the order?

18 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:30am
post #2 of 19

Hi,

I charge my normal per serving price for the 6" .

icon_smile.gif

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:17am
post #3 of 19

I charge my normal price for the 6" also icon_smile.gif

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:32am
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrsktch

When you have done a cupcake tower, is there a price you charge for the 6" cutting cake, or do you give it away free with the order?

why would you give it away free? I'm confused by that one...

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:44am
post #5 of 19

I don't give it away either. Heck it is harder to decorate than the cupcakes. I am doing a tower with 36 cupcakes and a 6 inch cake this weekend and I charged a fee for the cupcakes and a fee for the cake.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:51am
post #6 of 19

charge for everything. the only thing i give away free is promo samples.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:55am
post #7 of 19

Yep charge for cupcakes and charge per serving for 6". Also charge for stand of course.

melhoneybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melhoneybee Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:08am
post #8 of 19

Yup, starts at $3 per serving for buttercream, and $4 for fondant. So, for that 6" cutter it would be: $36-$48 for round (that is starting, very, very basic stuff here), or $54-$72 for square.

missjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missjane Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:16am
post #9 of 19

The bakery I used to work in charged a minimum $35.00 for a 6 inch round.

Any decorations beyond just a plain iced cake added to that price.

icon_smile.gif Jane

luvsfreebies72 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:07am
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupcakenameddesire

Yup, starts at $3 per serving for buttercream, and $4 for fondant. So, for that 6" cutter it would be: $36-$48 for round (that is starting, very, very basic stuff here), or $54-$72 for square.

that's what appears to be the going rate here in SoCal, too.

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 9:24pm
post #11 of 19

SoCal, are you doing the cupcake tree for a wedding? If so, you MAY want to comp the 6". For a regular stacked wedding cake, the top layer (usually a 6") is usually saved for the first anniversary, so that serving amount is not calculated in my final serving price. So I can see where you might not want to charge for it. As long as you are getting the per serving amount for the total number of servings, I would consider throwing in the 6" in lieu of a top cake layer for the anniversary. JMO, though!

<S>

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:49am
post #12 of 19

(ducking the cake scraps being thrown at her)

I give them a free cutting cake with an order of 10 dozen cupcakes or more.

luvsfreebies72 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:12am
post #13 of 19

LOL @ the cake scraps!

ok, I'm not in business yet, but here's my thoughts having been self-employed before...

unless you are factoring in the costs of a 6" cutting/smash cake into the charge of the cupcakes, you are giving away free cake, thus lowering YOUR profit margin. Materials, labor. It all costs money.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:40am
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjane

The bakery I used to work in charged a minimum $35.00 for a 6 inch round.

That's exactly the quote I gave a bride today.

loriemoms Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 10:34am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsfreebies72

LOL @ the cake scraps!

ok, I'm not in business yet, but here's my thoughts having been self-employed before...

unless you are factoring in the costs of a 6" cutting/smash cake into the charge of the cupcakes, you are giving away free cake, thus lowering YOUR profit margin. Materials, labor. It all costs money.

Yes, I factor the cost of all my "freebies" into the cost of my cake. The cake drum, the SPS system, even the free anniversary cake. (which this 6 inch topper is equal to. Its just a little buttercream cake...they do pay extra if they want gum paste or fondant, etc) You should do this with all your cakes, not just cupcakes. Cupcakes are so fast and easy for me to do (I can bake 12 dozen at a time) and whip out, they already have a pretty high profit margin..

luvsfreebies72 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 7:15pm
post #16 of 19

if you are charging a higher base price on the cupcakes/cake to add in the cost of the 6 incher cutting/smash cake than you normally do when the customer does NOT request that cutting/smasher... then you're not giving away free cake are you? (which is a good thing in my book)

just a little bc cake? but that little bc cake costs time and money.

Personally I don't think it is in any business owner's best interest to be giving away free product unless it is a marketing tactic designed to bring new customers in.

loriemoms Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 8:31pm
post #17 of 19

I have had a lot of brides who come in to order 7 dozen or so cupcakes and hear they will get a free cutting cake if they order 10 dozen so they raise their count. So I guess it is a marketing thing.

I also guess it depends on your set up. I make large volumes of cake and to put some batter in a 6 inch pan and throw it in the oven with the other cakes isn't that much more time for me. Torting,filling and frosting a 6 inch cake and putting some fresh flowers on top is worth the 1/2 hour time it takes me to know the customer will be happy and feel they got something special. They remember that and pass it on to thier friends and I book more weddings. So me "Loosing 35$" well...I guess I just look at things differently

btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 10:19pm
post #18 of 19

Yes, I was definitely thinking about it in terms of a minimum cupcake order ~ get the anniversary/cutting cake/smash cake for free.

Thanks!

luvsfreebies72 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 10:52pm
post #19 of 19

hey, what anyone does with their business, is, well, their business! icon_lol.gif I just wanted to put another perspective on it for anyone else reading it, so that they don't think they *have* to do that and to weigh all the pros and cons before doing so, kwim?

I think regional customs are also going to factor in on this one... if you are priced competitively with the market and they all do it as a custom, you are going to have to as well more than likely.

Rock on, ladies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%