Can My Gumpaste Be Saved?

Decorating By bostonterrierlady Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 11:07pm by Cakepro

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 6

I made Nicholas Lodge recipe. Something went horribly wrong. It was a crumbly dry mess. I left out the 1 C powdered sugar. So I took it our of the mixer bowl and kneaded tons of Crisco in by hand. It still has a few crumbs in it of hard bits of powdered sugar. I do not have enough tylose to make another batch. Can it be saved?

5 replies
bostonterrierlady Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 6

Anyone?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 6

I think it's the "tons of crisco" that killed it. If the ratios get that out of whack, it just makes a dried up mess.

The only suggestion I have is to try to knead in some egg white (real egg white from fresh eggs) and try to bring it back.

My real fear is that it's so far gone that whatever you make with it will be terribly brittle and prone to breaking & cracking.

If all else fails, if you can go buy some pre-made Wilton gum paste, you'll be very happy with the results.

HTH
Rae

bostonterrierlady Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 6

What did I do wrong? Was it adding to much powdered sugar? I did not add the Crisco until I took it out of the bowl. I followed the directions perfectly. Can I use Wiltons Gumtex with the same recipe? I have that.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 6

I don't think the GumTex w/work in Nic's recipe.
You can mix GumTex into fondant. If you have or can get any fondant just mix in about 1 tespoon per # of fondant.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 6

Yeah, throw it out, buy more Tylose, and start over. I have seen many of my students OD their GP with Crisco and it toughens it up so much that it crumbles apart.

On your next batch, take out 3 cups of powdered sugar, and when you start kneading it, feel it. If it's sticky, add powdered sugar until you have a nice consistency...not sticky, not stiff. Not everybody can use all of the powdered sugar his recipe calls for due to their particular climate.

By the way, was that a new container of Tylose? If so, you completely OD'd the batch with Tylose. I think I get like 4 batches of Nick's GP recipe per container. If you measure your ingredients with a good digital scale, the amount of Tylose you use per batch of GP is 34 grams.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%