1St Bridal Cake Tasting!!!

Business By KrazyK8 Updated 12 Apr 2009 , 8:53pm by jdconcc

KrazyK8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyK8 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 21

Okay, so I've read a ton of threads about doing a Tasting/Consultaion. I've gotten some really great information from all of you here at CC! The only thing I'm still confused about is the contract. I have a contact ready to go, but I'm not sure when to fill it out and give it to the bride. Do I fill it out while they're here and ask them to sign it and send it back with the deposit if they decide to use my services? Then, would I sign it and send them a copy back? How do you do it?

I'm so confused!!! icon_cry.gif

Thanks!
Kate

20 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 21

At the end of the consultation ask for the sale.

Me: Is this something you're ready to contract for now to guarantee your date and get this crossed off your to do list?

Bride: Yes!

Me: filling out contract. Let's hit the high points of your contract. At some point between now and the wedding you really should READ THIS in detail.

talk. talk

I need a check, cash or credit card for $$$.

Just a minute while I make a copy of your contract and invoice for you. Would you also like a copy of your check?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 21

thumbs_up.gif Yep - that is how ya do it!

KrazyK8 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 21

Don't let 'em leave until they've signed something, GOT IT!!! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks guys!

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 21

What do you do if they have another consultation after yours? Do you have them come in again?

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 21

What I do if they are not set to make a decision or are not sure of the design yet, I tell them its $$ for deposit to hold the date. I mail out the contract to them and filled out with as much information we know. If they are still up in the air with the design and flavor and guest amount, then I put a note that it will be determined at a later date. They have until thirty days before the wedding to make all final decisions.

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:16pm
post #7 of 21

I let them know that their wedding date is not held with me until I receive a 50% deposit, but I do give them time to decide. Most brides don't come to me ready to book with someone because they are still shopping around and I think that's fine. I let them know they can bring the deposit to me or mail it when they decide. Once I get the deposit I fill out the contract with all the info we have talked about and I let them know we don't have to make a final decision on flavors and things like that until 30 days before the wedding so they can change their mind as many times as they want between now and then and I don't have to hear about it (I don't include that last part out loud to them, it's only in my head icon_biggrin.gif ). I do review what the terms of my contract are with them in the consultation though so that there aren't any surprises once they've paid me their deposit and actually receive a copy of it. This has worked pretty well for me so far. I could probably book more if I pushed them into signing something that day, but I'm not comfortable with that and I don't want them to regret booking with me. I try to make everything as stress free as possible for them.

Loucinda Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:15pm
post #8 of 21

I have never "pushed" a bride into booking a cake. I am however proud of the fact I (thus far) have a 100% booking rate at my tastings. I am very flexible with them not knowing completely what they want until 30 days before the wedding. I do not do a huge volume of wedding business, but that is ok too. I don't have to! I do stress that I do NOT hold their date unless I receive the deposit.

I really love doing the tastings! Maybe that is why I have had such good luck getting the orders.

You will do fine - just keep it relaxed and know your product! thumbs_up.gif

KrazyK8 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:50pm
post #9 of 21

Thanks everyone! You've been alot of help! I'm just kind of nervous because I'm not good at the sales part yet. I guess I better get good fast because 2 more brides booked a tasting for the same day. I should be a pro by the end of the day.

Wish me luck!
Kate

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:09pm
post #10 of 21

I dont push brides at all. I give them a package as soon as they sit down. It contains FAQs, cake flavors, a rental agreement, and a contract. I even include an envelope to send it in. (no stamp) after the consult, I tell them they can send it or fax it in, they arent locked in till I receive the contract and a deposit. A few sign up that day, some I hear from later. Once I get one in the mail, I make copies, sign my end and send it back to them with an invoice, and appointment card for a second consultation (where they come in and we go over the more details of the design, etc. i NEVER give anyone a complete design with out a contract.

YOu also might want to inlist help if you do a lot of tastings. I do them back to back on certain days. If they want to book, my DH takes over and does the contract and invoice with them so I can continue with the next bride.

And booking 100% to me means you aren't charging enough. Just my 2 cents. I book about 75-80% of my tastings which to me is great!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:16pm
post #11 of 21

After we've gone over the details of what they want, done a sketch or whatever, I hand then a price list and a contract and say, here's a contract for you to look over, if you decide to hire me to do your cake you'll need to send this to me w/ your deposit. At that point all but ONE bride so far, said...."Oh, well we know we're going with you so...." and then I say" Ok, well we can just go over it right now" and I walk them through the contract and fill out 2 contracts simultaneously and they sign both and I sign both and we each take one.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:41pm
post #12 of 21

So if you send a bride home with paperwork (no contract signed), and another bride wants that same day and is ready to sign the contract, you book bride 2 because bride 1 took too long to decide? Assuming of course you only do one wedding a weekend.

Loucinda Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 12:04am
post #13 of 21

That has not been an issue for me at all - I have booked all the brides that have had a tasting with me. (and as I stated before I do not do a high volume of wedding cakes) BUT I am charging the "going" rate for my area.....I do not feel I am not charging enough.

I always tell them right from the beginning, YOUR DATE is NOT HELD unless you pay the non-refundable deposit to hold it. PERIOD.

Just this week I had a bride send me a deposit for her date and she isn't even doing the tasting until the end of the month. She was impressed with my references, and for her, that was good enough.

The system I have works good for me, and I have had no complaints thus far. (knock on wood)

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 9:11am
post #14 of 21

We are a very low pressure shop as it relates to our interactions with our brides, we actually encourage them to visit other shops. icon_biggrin.gif

Somewhere near the beginning of the consult I say something like "When we are all finished today you will leave here with a quote that includes everything, tax, title, license, delivery & setup, etc. I'm sure you want to attend a couple other cake tastings and after you do, If you would like us to create your wedding cake, you just fill out this page and then you can either fax them back and take care of the deposit with a credit card over the phone or you can put them in the mail with a check, whichever works best for you!"

If they decide to book on the spot (and the majority do), I let them fill out their details & sign and I make them a copy and.... poof, they are on the schedule. Otherwise they take the paperwork and head out into the world to meet with other cake companies. icon_smile.gif

We even have this on our web site FAQ:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: How many cake companies should we visit for cake tastings?

A: You probably think that since we are a cake company, that I'm going to tell you that you should only meet with us, right? Well you'd be wrong. We suggest you attend tastings with 2 or 3 licensed cake shops before making your decision. After all, the best way to feel supremely confident about a decision is to know that you have explored your options and that you know what else is out there (hey, you're not marrying the only guy you ever dated right?). Only then can you make an informed decision about the coolest cake you will ever buy. Besides... we don't want you to choose Piece of Cake because we're the only place you went, we want you to choose us because, after weighing the options, you decide that you'd have to be nuts not to work with us.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's OK if you think I am nuts... I can assure you that we are sending exactly the message we intend by doing things this way. icon_biggrin.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 10:26am
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpiggie78

So if you send a bride home with paperwork (no contract signed), and another bride wants that same day and is ready to sign the contract, you book bride 2 because bride 1 took too long to decide? Assuming of course you only do one wedding a weekend.

I always warn the bride, weither they want to beleive me or not, that there are others interested in that same date, and I do first come first serve. So yes, if another bride books the date then yes, I tell them if they snooze, they looze! Its business...

Sabz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabz Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 12:43pm
post #16 of 21

I was wondering how it works, you know when they come over for a first consultation; look at your portfolio, discuss ideas designs etc. Would that be the same day of cake tasting too or would another day be determined for it? And the day tasting takes place, colour scheme, design etc has been discussed; is the price and contract determined there and then or do you tell them you'll get back to them at a later date?

pinkpiggie78 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:19pm
post #17 of 21

I know it was an obvious question and answer... I guess I would just feel bad. I know it's business, and I have to learn that, but still. I think I like the idea of doing the tasting and discussion some options, and then, if they decide to go with me, having a second appointment to discussion detailed design, flavors, etc.

Loucinda Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:35pm
post #18 of 21

PinkPiggie - there have been several times that the bride comes and does the tasting, gives me their deposit and then come back at a later date to discuss the "final" version of their cake. I have no problem with that at all, I just tell them, the final decisions (AND total amount due for the cake) are both required 30 days before the event date. There have been a couple of times where the cake has needed to be made larger, only once have I had to make it smaller.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:47pm
post #19 of 21

Thanks Loucinda. As a stay-at-home mom just getting in this business, I am trying to absorb as much as I can. I think I would prefer a short tasting session to discuss some of the basics, get the deposit, and then spend time with the details. Since I can only do a wedding a weekend, I think it would be a better use of my time to do it that way.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:57pm
post #20 of 21

How about if you attach a copy of your contract to a post, so the pros can take a look at it and give you some pointers? There may be something you forgot, or could be worded better.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:53pm
post #21 of 21

It's OK if you think I am nuts... I can assure you that we are sending exactly the message we intend by doing things this way. icon_biggrin.gif[/quote]

Not nuts at all, I love this philosophy and I hope that is what I am working towards icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%