3D Tractor

Decorating By Kerry_Kake Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 6:22pm by poohsmomma

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:47pm
post #1 of 5

HELP!!! I'm panicking here icon_surprised.gif

I just got an order to do a 3D tractor cake for this saturday. I have never done a 3D cake before....other than carving a fist for one of my cakes. It's not that I don't think that I can do it cause I rather like a challenge. But she didn't leave me much time to get all my info together.

If any of you have done a 3D tractor, I could use your help.
Questions:
1. Can I use WASC recipe for carving?
2. How to have the tractor elevated so it's just the tires touching?
3. What to use for the tires? I'm thinking RKT
4. How do I know how many servings I can get from this tractor? I know that depends on the size pans. It's for 20 people and I was thinking of using loaf pans for the tractor and have it sitting on a 9" square cake (maybe).
5. Help if you can! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
deena1987 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deena1987 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 5

I just did one last week and used rice krispy treats pressed into a bowl and covered with fondant. I let it dry overnight then put toothpicks into the rkt and pressed into the cake worked great. Mine wasn't elevated. I used the 11x15 pan cut into 3 equal parts stacked 2 5x11 then the 3rd I cut in half and stacked for the cab. Then I rounded off the front and frosted with buttercream and added fondant windows, tires and John Deere plaque. Oh for the pipe I used a straw wrapped in fondant. It turned out really great. I wish I could post a picture but not sure how for my computer won't let me download anymore but there are several in the galleries. That's where I got my ideas. Hope I didn't confuse you.

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you, I wish I could see a picture of yours. I've been searching the galleries and may have to pm some people. That is a good idea to use the larger pan and then cut. Do you know how many people that served?

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_Kake

HELP!!! I'm panicking here icon_surprised.gif

I just got an order to do a 3D tractor cake for this saturday. I have never done a 3D cake before....other than carving a fist for one of my cakes. It's not that I don't think that I can do it cause I rather like a challenge. But she didn't leave me much time to get all my info together.

If any of you have done a 3D tractor, I could use your help.
Questions:
1. Can I use WASC recipe for carving?
2. How to have the tractor elevated so it's just the tires touching?
3. What to use for the tires? I'm thinking RKT
4. How do I know how many servings I can get from this tractor? I know that depends on the size pans. It's for 20 people and I was thinking of using loaf pans for the tractor and have it sitting on a 9" square cake (maybe).
5. Help if you can! icon_smile.gif

I'm not a 3D cake expert, but I did a tractor just last Friday.

1.yes, but mine was pound cake.
2. I used a piece of styrofoam that was about 5.5X9X2. Hot glued it to the base board and to the bottom of the cake board.
3.RKT pressed into 2 6" round pans. Once set for a couple minutes, I dipped them in dark chocolate candy melts. Worked like a charm. I dipped two oreos for the front two tires. Attach all with candy melts and allow to harden.
4.I carved an 11X15 similar to PP and used almost all of it. It probably served about 30
5.HTH

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 5

I saw a cake somewhere (can't remember where!) and the decorator had used those doughnuts that look like tractor tires (crullers???) dipped in chocolate. They looked really cute.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%