I Need Help With Sugar Beer Bottles, Please!

Sugar Work By laje14 Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 1:28am by laje14

laje14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laje14 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:56am
post #1 of 6

Hello,
After reading all the posts about the sugar beer bottles I was so excited to try them. I bought the mold builder and painted on 11 coats over two days. I peeled my mold off today and it was bumpy and crooked. I thought it might just be the outside, but I tried to make the bottle and it came out horrible. It's all dented and bulgy looking. Can someone plese help me. What did I do wrong when I made the mold? I did let it dry between coats. I used a sponge brush. I would like to try it again, or does someone know where I can buy a silicone mold that is already made? I've attached picture of the mold and bottle to see if anyone knows why this happened. Thank You.
LL
LL

5 replies
ThisNameInUse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThisNameInUse Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 6:19am
post #2 of 6

The inside of your mold should be smooth and shiney....Did the sugar bottle have a smooth surface, even though it was dented?

Did you continue to turn the bottle as you poured the sugar? You do have to be pretty careful not to squeeze the bottle when spinning it.

Did you set the bottle on it's side in a clay mold until it hardened? I have noticed that if I continue to spin the bottle mold while it sits in the clay mold as it is hardening, the extra sugar spreads more evenly. I continue spinning until i can see that the sugar is not moving in the bottle anymore. Then I let it rest until it is hardened.

When I made the green bottle, I even poured the excess sugar out of the bottle so the thickness/color would be more even.

laje14 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 6

My mold was shiny inside, but not smooth. It was lumpy on the inside. The bottle came out the same way. Any suggestions on the mold? What kind of brush did you use? I did let it dry between coats, but maybe not enough? It took two days to get 11 coats on. I had some spots that were thicker, could those have made it lumpy? Thanks for your help. I used your tutorial with pictures to try and make mine, but it didn't look like yours. icon_cry.gif

ThisNameInUse Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 6

I just used a regular brush, I'm guessing it was nylon...I bought a pack of brushes at Walmart that had multiple sizes for 4.99. Nothing fancy by any means. You do need to make sure that your application of the mold builder is pretty smooth with the first couple applications. Ya know, just try to use even, longer strokes when applying it. I started at the top and brushed all the way to the bottom and then onto the wax paper about an inch. Then, start back at the top and apply the next layer right next to the layer you just applied, working your way around the entire bottle the same way. I hope that makes sense.

After you have a few coats on, kinda check out for thinner spots, and dab a little builder where those are, let them dry, and the apply another smooth coat. That's the only reason I can think of why it would be lumpy on the inside.

Just remember, when you are pouring the sugar in, make sure the entire bottle is coated, and keep spinning it until you see the sugar movement slow up. Lay the bottle in the clay mold impression you made, and keep turning the bottle slowly until you see the excess sugar STOP moving. The clay mold helps keep the rounded shape of the bottle. Then let the bottle rest until it hardens.

That's the only thing I can think of as to why it didn't work. I hope this helps....

If I can figure out how to make a video with my daughters camera, I'll make one and post it for you.

ThisNameInUse Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 6

Laje14...I have AIM, screen name Jello1970...if you have it and want to send me a message, I will gladly talk with you in realtime to try to help you figure out what went wrong with your bottle....

laje14 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:28am
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much This NameinUse for your help. I will try it again. I think I painted the mold builder on too bulky. I will try the long strokes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%