Update On The Grocery Store Bakery Gig...

Lounge By misserica Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 12:15am by SugarLover2

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 4

A few weeks ago I informed everyone that I got hired in the local grocery store bakery as their cake decorator.

I just wanted to share that I had my first 2 shifts and it was kind of fun. Its exactly what you would imagine, frozen cakes, covered in Bettercreme and then either some form of package candy (Snickers etc.) or borders with roses. My first shift I decorated 40 cakes...today I did half that but today all the cakes were 1/2 and 1/4 sheets with borders and roses...my goodness my hand and wrist hurt from pumping out roses all day.

The lady I work under does not decorate cakes anymore because I am there so I have my own little area set up with a table and shelves and what not and I pretty much can do whatever design I want, just vary the colors. I brought my tool caddy today because its a lot easier to work with my things that I know and am comfortable with but all in all not too bad. I am just super happy to be working finally.

Hope everyone is doing well and wishing you all a very Happy Easter/ Passover!

3 replies
SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 4

Cool! So happy for you. I often wonder what that job would be like considering I'm in Jersey where it's illegal to sell from home. At least working in the store you can decorate to your hearts content and not worry about the cake police! lol

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 4

Its Bettercreme so its not my strong point but still fun and I am sure this will help me gain speed and its certainly good practice. I do wish they did fondant and gumpaste but I will take what I can get.

I know, how annoying is that Sugar? Us cakers in Jersey can not, under any circumstances, sell cakes from our kitchens. I think its lame and got on board with the other ladies/gents on here trying to turn it around. Although my faith in Jersey politics has gone down the toilet. Gov. Corzine is a pin head so we would be truly lucky if they passed it in our favor...although him being such a donkey may help our case, he passes nonsense all the time, and we are far from nonsense!!

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:15am
post #4 of 4

Yeah, I am in contact with the girls from the Jersey thread. I doubt we'll get anywhere, but I'm all for trying.

Oh, buttercream (bettercream) is my enemy! But, it would be nice to learn to do flowers and whatnot. i can't make a drop flower (or any flower) out of icing to save my darn life! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%