Michele's Fondant Question.

Decorating By patticakesnc Updated 15 May 2009 , 11:31pm by mareg

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 18

Ok I just finished making my first batch according to the updated informaiton listed for Michele's fondant. I did make the corrections that she posted as well. I put almost 4 cups of sugar in it. It formed a soft ball that fall off my dough hook and I kneaded it and even kneaded in a little more ps. (that is where the almost 4 cups came in..it wasn't in addition to 4 cups).

Anyway. I have wrapped it in my oiled plastic wrap and it is resting. Here is the thing. It still felt a little soft, not really sticky, but I guess a tiny bit. Is it suppose to be that way?

I am normally a mmf girl and I just hate making it lately cause I can't get a good consistancy and I have heard raves over Micheles. And it was MUCH easier too.

So if anyone has any info...please throw it my way. I have a beer cooler cake due this weekend and I wanted to make up the fondant now in case I have to redo it.

17 replies
chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 18

your mixture sounds find. Miche's is a little softer than mmf when you get to the wrapping stage. Once it rests overnight and all the ingredients get a chance to meld together, it'll be perfect. I have never made a bad batch of Michele's fondant whereas MMF was always kinda hit and miss.

If you want to maximize the workability of Michele's, you can always add 6oz of white chocolate to the cooking stage and let it melt in with the butter and other ingredients. It really boosts the tatse up a notch and makes it even easier to work with... it's wonderful!
icon_smile.gif

patticakesnc Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 18

AH CRAP!!!! I meant to add chocolate to it! I just realized it when you said that about the white chocolate.....ARGGG!!

It will be ok. There isn't a certain type of cake or anything that I have to make since it is for my sister in law. My brother just wants a cooler cake.

Hey does anyone know where to get the latex stuff to make the sugar bottle? I can use real beer, she will be happy with that but would love to make the bottle.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 18

That's exactly what I've found. It did make a difference using the corrected amounts, and I think I will always use the white chocolate in it. I made it about this time yesterday and did think it was soft when I wrapped it, but it is just perfect now. I liked this stuff before and now I really am going to like it.

patticakesnc Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 18

YAHHH!!! Thanks so much guys. I was hoping it was going to be right. Since it was the first time fixing it I was just worried. I don't let mmf "rest". So I wasn't sure. I just went over and touched it and it feels firmer already.

Now I wan't wait to make more and add the chocolate!

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 18

Aside from tasting so darn good, I will always use the chocolate. It's been a long time since I used store fondant and that was Wilton. I just ordered Satin Ice for the first time and will have it tomorrow. I thought I should get some premade stuff to judge what the consistency should be like. I've been playing around with the stuff I made yesterday and it's just great. I added tylose to a little bit and have making bows and other things and just loving this stuff!!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 18

ok, after reading all these posts, instead of spending a ton of money on fondant, I am going to make it. My question is, in Michele's fondant recipe it says "cream", would that be heavy cream or light cream? Any help would be appreciated.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:59am
post #8 of 18

pattycakes, you acn use either. In fact, Michele says you can actually use any kind of liquid that suits your fancy. I used French Vanilla CoffeeMate! Coupled with the white chocolate I added, it was amazing! The only thing she advised against as far as liquid was alcohol due to strength and rapid evaporation. I bet it would be yummy with koolaid or fruit punch! My next experiment, once I get caught up, will be to use peanut butter chips instead of chocolate!

patticakesnc Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:07am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

pattycakes, you acn use either. In fact, Michele says you can actually use any kind of liquid that suits your fancy. I used French Vanilla CoffeeMate! Coupled with the white chocolate I added, it was amazing! The only thing she advised against as far as liquid was alcohol due to strength and rapid evaporation. I bet it would be yummy with koolaid or fruit punch! My next experiment, once I get caught up, will be to use peanut butter chips instead of chocolate!

These are some great ideas. I used half and half in mine today. This is the first of many batches I will be making though I am sure! I will have to try some of the ideas you said chilz.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:19am
post #10 of 18

Hey ladies! You can still add white chocolate clay to Michele's fondant even after it is made. That is how I do mine to make it a really strong tasting white chocolate fondant. Just make a batch of white chocolate clay then add some of it to your fondant. Let your fondant and white chocolate clay set up overnight then blend them together the next day. I use 2 parts Michele's Fondant to 1 part White Chocolate clay. Works in beautifully and the taste is divine!!! icon_biggrin.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:12pm
post #11 of 18

thanks everyone for the info

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:23pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

Ok I just finished making my first batch according to the updated informaiton listed for Michele's fondant. I did make the corrections that she posted as well. I put almost 4 cups of sugar in it. It formed a soft ball that fall off my dough hook and I kneaded it and even kneaded in a little more ps. (that is where the almost 4 cups came in..it wasn't in addition to 4 cups).

Anyway. I have wrapped it in my oiled plastic wrap and it is resting. Here is the thing. It still felt a little soft, not really sticky, but I guess a tiny bit. Is it suppose to be that way?

I am normally a mmf girl and I just hate making it lately cause I can't get a good consistancy and I have heard raves over Micheles. And it was MUCH easier too.

So if anyone has any info...please throw it my way. I have a beer cooler cake due this weekend and I wanted to make up the fondant now in case I have to redo it.

May I ask how much PS you actually used? you mentioned 4 cups. is this in addition to the 3 to 4 POUNDS of PS?

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:07pm
post #13 of 18

HI Ladies,

Sorry to butt in but I have a question about MFF and didn't know if anyone can help me.

I have made MFF three times now and I have never had it to the stage when it is a soft ball on my KA mixer. How long do you let it mix after you have added all the PS? Am I not waiting long enough?

Thanks for the help!!

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:42pm
post #14 of 18

The the recipe called Michele Foster's UPDATED Fondant the right one? Does it need any corrections?

Thanks,

Hazel

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:01pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodiegoddess

I have made MFF three times now and I have never had it to the stage when it is a soft ball on my KA mixer. How long do you let it mix after you have added all the PS? Am I not waiting long enough?

I would like to know this too. I add ps and after mixing a bit it gets softer. I made it today and added 3 3/4 lbs. of sugar.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:16pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

May I ask how much PS you actually used? you mentioned 4 cups. is this in addition to the 3 to 4 POUNDS of PS?

That would make it quite soft, eh? If cups were used instead of pounds....you may have some more ps to knead in icon_eek.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:53am
post #17 of 18

all4cake, that's what i thought too. maybe it was a typo?

anyway, i suggest not to add all the PS because if you add all of it, it will still be soft BUT after the over night curing it will get so hard and crumbly. What i do is just add 2 lbs of PS then after curing if it is still soft, i just knead in additional PS as needed.

HTH

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:31pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

all4cake, that's what i thought too. maybe it was a typo?

anyway, i suggest not to add all the PS because if you add all of it, it will still be soft BUT after the over night curing it will get so hard and crumbly. What i do is just add 2 lbs of PS then after curing if it is still soft, i just knead in additional PS as needed.

HTH

After 2 cups of the ps mixed in my MFF is almost like a liquid? I slides right off the hook. How much more do you mix in after it cures?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%