Serious Cakes Buttercream Question

Decorating By georgiapuddinpie Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 12:24pm by SeriousCakes

georgiapuddinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiapuddinpie Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone!
I made seriouscakes buttercream today for the first time. I love the consistency and the taste is wonderful. But, its been an hour and it still hasn't crusted enough to smooth with Viva. I used three sticks of butter this may have something to do with it. Also used Great Value shortening (does this have the transfat?) If I add more sugar will it crust?
Thanks in advance.

7 replies
nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 8

I've made it with 3 sticks of butter so I don't think that is it. It might be the shortning. Hopefully someone will have a better answer for you. Good luck, I love this frosting!

Lil_Belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lil_Belle Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 8

great value is the wal*mart brand, right? last time I watched tonedna1's youtube videos that brand still had transfat- but it would still say on the label anyway. When I used her's it was fine for smoothing...maybe stick it in the refrigerator for a few minutes to harden up? that worked when I needed it icon_smile.gif

Carlachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlachef Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 8

Does the recipe call for powdered egg whites (meringue powder) ?I think that may help.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 8

Actually, it might be the butter, 3 whole sticks=24 tbs., if you add all 3 sticks it's an extra 2 tbs. Plus combined with the fat in the heavy whipping cream might be keeping it from crusting. Is it warm, humid or rainy where you are today?
Meringue powder isn't what causes buttercream to crust, it's the ratio of fat to sugar, more sugar more crusting, more fat less crusting. The only suggestion I would have for today is either wait until it crusts or turn a fan on it lol icon_lol.gif Hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

georgiapuddinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiapuddinpie Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:06am
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the replies. It finally crusted a little. Think I will start over tomorrow. This time maybe I will pay more attention to the recipe icon_redface.gif One more question, can I use half n half instead of heavy cream?

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:37am
post #7 of 8

I REALLY wish people would stop thinking that meringue powder is what makes buttercream crust!

Anyway, Serious_Cakes is absolutely right. You added extra fat to the recipe which throws the ratios off. It is that ratio between fat and sugar that causes the crust. The more sugar the faster it will crust.

I live in a VERY humid area and use this recipe exclusively and never have a problem with it crusting. Normally takes about 15 minutes.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:24pm
post #8 of 8

You can absolutely use 1/2 and 1/2, I do it all the time!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%