Pricing Faux Aka Dummy Cake Vs. Real Cake Tiers

Decorating By aimers Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 10:05pm by msmeg

aimers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimers Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 9

I am hoping someone can help me out on this one. I have been asked to do a 4 tier wedding cake with 1 real cake and the rest dummy tiers. I have never priced one before and was wondering what you all do. Lets say in direct comparison if I were to charge $80.00 for an 8" tier in the cake how much would I charge for that same size in a dummy tier. Both with the same decoration and covered in Fondant. Basic fondant w/ white chocolate molded accents.

8 replies
sweetsbyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyl Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 9

I charge the same for dummies. It takes the same amount of time to decorate a dummy cake as it does a real cake. Also, the price of the dummy is the same as the ingredients for the real cake.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 9

I ditto sweetsbyl....It takes just as much time etc..I would charge the same amount!

aimers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimers Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. Now I just have to explain to a bride that thinks this is her way of saving money.

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 9

Dummies are not any cheaper that a real cake charge the same amount.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 9

Charge the same as a "real" cake. Takes just as long, you have to get the same decorating elements (fondant, dragees, tools, etc.). And don't forget the cost of the dummies and the shipping if you have to order them online.

It's time we stop this myth among brides to be that cake dummies are a cheap way out! icon_razz.gif

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 9

I agree! I charge as much for a dummy as I do the real thing. Those styrofoam dummies cost as much as cake if not more. And don't forget...the expense comes in the decorating. Not the baking.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:48pm
post #8 of 9

I always start the conversation with the bride with: "Let me explain how the wedding magazines and websites are lying to you....." I don't try to convince her .... I tell her flat out she has been lied to.

My way of thinking is right .... what she has been told is WRONG. Period.

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:05pm
post #9 of 9

check the price of those dummies first. they may cost MORE than cake. Charge accordingly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%