Creme Brulee Filling

Baking By jammjenks Updated 12 Apr 2009 , 8:45pm by MyDiwa

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 20

Have you ever done a creme brulee filling? I have had a bride ask about it and I told her that as long as I can get a recipe, I'd LOVE to make it for her. I didn't see a recipe in the recipe section on here, but it may be due to my spelling. Did I even spell it correctly?

If possible, I need it to be shelf stable because we home-bakers in NC can't sell products that require refridgeration.

Thanks for any direction you can give me!

19 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 20

What about buying Creme Brulee coffee mate flavor and adding it to buttercream????

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 20

Shot in the dark here. Can't find a creme brulee cake filling. BUT, what if you used a pseudo custard filling that they sell in the "sleeves" at cake stores and then caramelize sugar, let it cool and either place it between custard layers in the cake or crumble it into the custard. Think that would work?

Beth in KY

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 20

OOOOOOO! Haven't seen Creme Brulee Coffeemate! Checkin' Wally World today! I use coffee creamer all the time in my cakes! In fact, this weekend for a wedding a lady was SOOO complimentary about my cake and said "I KNOW it's homemade". Since I was at MY CHURCH.....and basically, I don't care that people know I'm a "Mix Person" I told her that it was made at home, but, it was a DOCTORED cake mix. I didn't tell her I doctored it with Italian Cream Coffeemate! YUM!

Off to Wally World!

Beth in KY

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:17pm
post #5 of 20

creme brulee is basically a pastry creme with a carmelized top. you can get shelf stable pastry cream in sleeves.

jammjenks Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 20

You guys have been a huge help. I've never made (or eaten) creme brulee, so I was totally in the dark there. Her wedding isn't until 9/12/09 so I have time to try every suggestion here. Once I start trying things out, I'll have to post results.

msulli10 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:23pm
post #7 of 20

Bethola, please share how you use the coffeemate in your cake mixes? I've only used it in the buttercream.Hmmmmmmm.

Iva1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iva1976 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:35pm
post #8 of 20

msulli10, check out this thread its going to amaze you!! It's about 130 pages but well worth the read..... also check out the google document with all the recipes.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=614554&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=1920

Chef_Rinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Rinny Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:46pm
post #9 of 20

I found this posted on the gourmet flavor thread by Chef_Stef:

**Creme Brulee cake--Cream brulee-flavored cake filled with fresh caramel sauce and Bavarian cream, frosted with regular or caramel-flavored buttercream.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:54pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Rinny

I found this posted on the gourmet flavor thread by Chef_Stef:

**Creme Brulee cake--Cream brulee-flavored cake filled with fresh caramel sauce and Bavarian cream, frosted with regular or caramel-flavored buttercream.

The caramel sauce recipe is on there too. The google page is in alphabetic order (after the initial cake recipes) so it makes things a little easier to find. You just have to figure out what something is called. icon_smile.gif

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:21pm
post #11 of 20

I've been looking for a Bavarian cream recipe!!! Thanks!!!

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:40pm
post #12 of 20

To me the best part of Creme Brulee is the two different textures. You have the creaminess of the custard and the crunch of the caramelized shell.

I would try to replicate that.

msulli10 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:55am
post #13 of 20

Iva1976 - thanks, what a fabulous thread....

jammjenks Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:59am
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

To me the best part of Creme Brulee is the two different textures. You have the creaminess of the custard and the crunch of the caramelized shell.

I would try to replicate that.

hmmmm..now you've got me thinking. I've never even tasted it, so I didn't even know it had that. Good info.

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:14am
post #15 of 20

I made creme brulee in a large dish and then just scraped it out and used as a filling for a cake. It was really good with blackberries.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:23am
post #16 of 20

I had a flash of inspiration as I was waking up this morning. What if you made a brown sugar syrup like you use for a pineapple upside down cake and put that under the batter before you baked the two layers. When you turn it out, assemble with syrup coating up on the bottom layer, fill with a SMBC or French merinque, the lay the top layer on with the syrup coating next to the filling? Havn't tried it, it might work.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:19pm
post #17 of 20

I couldn't shake the inspiration and had to try the upside down cake syrup thing for an Easter cake. It is to die for.
Dynees Crème Brulee Cake
Prepare pans
4 T. butter    2/3 C. dark brown sugar
2 T. Water
Melt butter in saucepan and stir in brown sugar and water. Bring to a boil take off heat and set aside. When cool, divide equally between two 8 inch cake pans.
Mix your favorite yellow butter cake batter as directed ( I used Duncan Hines Yellow Butter cake but added ½ C sour cream and used milk instead of water). Carefully spoon batter over sugar syrup and bake as directed for cake. When done, cool in pans on wire rack for 15 minutes then invert one layer on rack, the other invert directly onto the cake board. Fill with Whole Egg Butter Cream or Vanilla SMBC or pastry cream. Carefully plop top layer over filling syrup side down and ice as desired.
Whole Egg Butter Cream (adapted from Cupcake Cafe cookbook)
This icing is similar to SMBC and has a taste and texture similar to custard.
Makes enough to ice and fill 8 inch cake or smaller. Can double recipe for larger or torted cake.
2 C. sugar      ½ C. Water
3 eggs at room temperature  1 ¼ pounds unsalted butter at room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Combine sugar and water, bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Cover 5 minutes. Insert candy thermometer and bring syrup to 236F without stirring. Beat eggs a bit, then add sugar syrup a bit at a time letting it run down the side of the beater bowl and beating thoroughly after each addition. Cover and let cool to room temperature. Make sure there is no heat left in mixture. Add butter, to the egg goop a bit at a time until its all incorporated. Add vanilla. If it will not stiffen up, you may need to put the bowl in the refrigerator for half an hour of so and then finish beating. This makes a very yellow icing that seemed to take candy colors better than SMBC( I wouldnt try any color that doesnt have yellow in it). If you want it lighter, you could mix a batch of SMBC and mix it together for a cream color. I was able to pipe with it after it cooled a bit.
LL
LL

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:35pm
post #18 of 20

Mmmmm.....gonna' have to try that one!

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:17pm
post #19 of 20

Wow, Thanks!!! Will make this one!

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:45pm