Storing Cake With Fondant

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 5:45am by madgeowens

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:06am
post #1 of 8

Will my cake dry out over night in the oven (oven is off)....does it need to be covered at all? I read in here that refrigeration will cause swetting, so I wanted to know the proper way to store it until the next day? Thanks thumbs_up.gif

7 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:34am
post #2 of 8

I think it should be fine as is but if your worried about it you could always cover it loosely with foil or saran wrap. I've left mine overnight on the counter and only covered it after it was cut to keep the little fingers out of it icon_lol.gif .

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:33am
post #3 of 8

I always store my fondant covered cakes in a cake box, which you can buy from the cake decorating shops. icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 8

Do you hav a gas or electric oven? If you have a gas oven I would NOT store it in there as the heat from the pilot would be enough to do damage to your cake. I use satin ice fondant and all of my cakes get refrigerated, without exception, and I have never had a problem. Don't know how other fondants hold up though.

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 8

Refrigerating a fondant covered cake is ok. If when you take it out of the fridge it starts sweating, just make sure you don't touch the cake and it will be ok.

Plant_Boy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Plant_Boy Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 8

So I have a question since I just started making cakes with fondant. So far I've just kept them in a cake box which worked great. If I need to refrigerate a cake that has a filling that has cream (mousse) or creamcheese in it would you leave the cake unwrapped in the fridge?

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:11pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plant_Boy

So I have a question since I just started making cakes with fondant. So far I've just kept them in a cake box which worked great. If I need to refrigerate a cake that has a filling that has cream (mousse) or creamcheese in it would you leave the cake unwrapped in the fridge?

Yup, that's what I would do.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:45am
post #8 of 8

Ok so I have electric oven. Kept the cake over night in there and this morning the fondant (satin ice) was cracked (the collar of a jacket) and the collar fell back off the cake grrrrrrr....soooo I carefully removed the darn collar and made a new one. Do yo think it was too thick? Why would it crack? The weight pulling on it? Check my photo's of the black biker jacket to see the collar, this was the night before it took a crap on me. icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%