Commercial Oven Or Double Wall Oven?

Business By tmcakes Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 6:14pm by tmcakes

tmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmcakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:49am
post #1 of 7

Hello all, I am in the planning stages of converting my 1 room guest quarters(which is not attached to my home) into my baking area. My hobby is no longer a hobby, icon_biggrin.gif I am starting to take on more cakes. Right now I do one or two cake a week. One too many considering I still work fulltime. BUT,now I have equipment spilling out all over the place and "I want my kitchen back to normal" without all the baking stuff! I'm sure some can releate to me on this!

But anyway I have been looking at the price of commercial convection ovens and know there is no way I can afford to spend $4,000.00 plus on a brand new commerical grade oven. I am aware of used one but, who knows were they have been or what cooked in it so that option is out. icon_surprised.gif

I was wondering if I would just do better purchasing a double wall oven since I will be home based. If so which brand/model would you suggest? The infomation packet from the Health dept did not say I had to use a commercial oven! Any suggestions?

6 replies
Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:48am
post #2 of 7

I share a licensed home kitchen with another baker. A few months back, we purchased a used double wall oven from a family remodeling their kitchen. The top oven has a convection option, while the bottom is just a conventional oven. We bought the oven for $50 (I know, unbelievable). It works perfectly well, and has been great for me, because I fill a lot of large cookie and muffin orders.

We found the item listed on Craigslist, and still can't believe our good fortune. We have been very happy with it, and it sounds to me like a double oven might suit your needs at the size you are now. Who knows, maybe you can find a used "steal" like we did. thumbs_up.gif

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:50am
post #3 of 7

I share a licensed home kitchen with another baker. A few months back, we purchased a used double wall oven from a family remodeling their kitchen. The top oven has a convection option, while the bottom is just a conventional oven. We bought the oven for $50 (I know, unbelievable). It works perfectly well, and has been great for me, because I fill a lot of large cookie and muffin orders.

We found the item listed on Craigslist, and still can't believe our good fortune. We have been very happy with it, and it sounds to me like a double oven might suit your needs at the size you are now. Who knows, maybe you can find a used "steal" like we did. thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 7

Check the requirements for the commercial oven - I remodeled my kitchen to be able to do more cakes (it is now 27' x 15'!) I was going to put the commercial convection oven in, and the salesman told me it would void the warranty if it was going into a home and not a business. (even though it was a licensed business with the state)

They also require special wiring - make sure you will have that available.

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 7

I have a double wall oven. GE Profile brand and both ovens are convection. I absolutely love it. I didn't really think to consider a commercial oven so I don't know if one is better than the other for home use.

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 7

I have two regular ovens in my kitchen (it's very large) and that works just great for me. My only caution against the commercial beyond what has already been mentioned is that the health department told me if I got a commercial oven I was no longer allowed to run a home bakery. I would then be considered a full bakery and would have to have all the same requirements as them such as grease traps, commercial grade dishwasher, three compartment sink, etc.

tmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmcakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the info, I think I would do better with the wall unit. Yesterday I priced a really nice 30" GE and Frigdiaire and they both were less than $1300.00 icon_biggrin.gif . Bethkay I never used craigslist so I will definatly give it a try. I hope like crazy I could find a really good deal. Commercial oven seems like it will open up a another can of worms I'm not ready to tackle at this time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%