Civil War Themed Wedding Cake?

Decorating By Jennifer1970 Updated 14 Aug 2013 , 8:07pm by Rosie93095

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:32am
post #1 of 18

Has anyone made a Civil War themed wedding cake? I've been searching for ideas, and haven't found any.

Thanks!
Jennifer1970

17 replies
juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:01am
post #2 of 18

How about using a Civil War era wedding dress for inspiration?

http://www.lisasdollcloset.com/Scarlettbride.jpg

RandomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RandomCakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 18

Depends on how civil war they want the cake. You could make 1 layer the rebel flag, 1 the union flag, and if there is a top layer, make silhouettes of soldiers and cannons fighting. If it's a sheet cake (groom's cake), you could have 1 half the rebel flag, 1 the union, and gumpaste (or plastic action figures) soldier's and cannons on each side fighting.

HTH, or at least gets some creative juices flowing icon_smile.gif

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:09am
post #4 of 18

What about doing a draped cake? Make a 3 tier round cake, drape the union jack and rebel flag, one on each side (made from painted fondant), and have toppers of a bride in a civil war era dress, and a groom in either union or confederacy uniform?

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:29am
post #5 of 18

This sounds so neat! I love the idea of draping the flags. But I'd talk to the bride more - with such an interesting and unique theme, I'd think she'd have some pretty specific ideas about what she wants. I love this idea! Please post pictures when you do it!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:02am
post #6 of 18

Oh dear oh dear Civil WAR themed Wedding Cake???

Way not cool theme there--yah think???!!!

Gone With The Wind theme, maybe.

Antique-y theme maybe.

War??? Oh no no no. Groom's cake maybe.
Brides cake no no no please say it ain't so!!

-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:15am
post #7 of 18

Do you remember from history class that the ladies of South Carolina went out on the roof tops to watch the "war"? This was when the first shots were fired at Fort Sumpter. It was if it was a social event at first.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:23am
post #8 of 18

Is the happy couple involved in Civil War re-enactment stuff?

Doesn't sound any more strange than a Star Trek or Star Wars or Renaissance Faire wedding cake.

I mean, people do sports themed wedding cakes, and video games and rock band wedding cakes.

Why would the Civil War be any worse?

In any case, I'd love to see pictures when you are finished.

-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:16pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

Is the happy couple involved in Civil War re-enactment stuff?

Doesn't sound any more strange than a Star Trek or Star Wars or Renaissance Faire wedding cake.

I mean, people do sports themed wedding cakes, and video games and rock band wedding cakes.

Why would the Civil War be any worse?

In any case, I'd love to see pictures when you are finished.

I think a war theme is appropriate for a divorce cake is all.

Because it was a war with gruesome terrifying consequences.
Over a half million American men died. Think how that would have affected the gene pool and then by it's absence did not affect the gene pool.

Like you wanna do a tier to Andersonville, the infamous prison camp or something?

It's not my cup of tea for sure. Each to their own.

I just don't equate war with bridal.

But on a beautiful note--ever read the letter Captain Balleau sent to his wifelette befor he died?

Quote:
Quote:

July the 14th, 1861
Washington DC

My very dear Sarah:The indications are very strong that we shall move in a few days - perhaps tomorrow. Lest I should not be able to write you again, I feel impelled to write lines that may fall under your eye when I shall be no more.

Our movement may be one of a few days duration and full of pleasure - and it may be one of severe conflict and death to me. Not my will, but thine 0 God, be done. If it is necessary that I should fall on the battlefield for my country, I am ready. I have no misgivings about, or lack of confidence in, the cause in which I am engaged, and my courage does not halt or falter. I know how strongly American Civilization now leans upon the triumph of the Government, and how great a debt we owe to those who went before us through the blood and suffering of the Revolution. And I am willing - perfectly willing - to lay down all my joys in this life, to help maintain this Government, and to pay that debt.

But, my dear wife, when I know that with my own joys I lay down nearly all of yours, and replace them in this life with cares and sorrows - when, after having eaten for long years the bitter fruit of orphanage myself, I must offer it as their only sustenance to my dear little children - is it weak or dishonorable, while the banner of my purpose floats calmly and proudly in the breeze, that my unbounded love for you, my darling wife and children, should struggle in fierce, though useless, contest with my love of country?

I cannot describe to you my feelings on this calm summer night, when two thousand men are sleeping around me, many of them enjoying the last, perhaps, before that of death -- and I, suspicious that Death is creeping behind me with his fatal dart, am communing with God, my country, and thee.

I have sought most closely and diligently, and often in my breast, for a wrong motive in thus hazarding the happiness of those I loved and I could not find one. A pure love of my country and of the principles have often advocated before the people and "the name of honor that I love more than I fear death" have called upon me, and I have obeyed.

Sarah, my love for you is deathless, it seems to bind me to you with mighty cables that nothing but Omnipotence could break; and yet my love of Country comes over me like a strong wind and bears me irresistibly on with all these chains to the battlefield.

The memories of the blissful moments I have spent with you come creeping over me, and I feel most gratified to God and to you that I have enjoyed them so long. And hard it is for me to give them up and burn to ashes the hopes of future years, when God willing, we might still have lived and loved together and seen our sons grow up to honorable manhood around us. I have, I know, but few and small claims upon Divine Providence, but something whispers to me - perhaps it is the wafted prayer of my little Edgar -- that I shall return to my loved ones unharmed. If I do not, my dear Sarah, never forget how much I love you, and when my last breath escapes me on the battlefield, it will whisper your name.

Forgive my many faults, and the many pains I have caused you. How thoughtless and foolish I have oftentimes been! How gladly would I wash out with my tears every little spot upon your happiness, and struggle with all the misfortune of this world, to shield you and my children from harm. But I cannot. I must watch you from the spirit land and hover near you, while you buffet the storms with your precious little freight, and wait with sad patience till we meet to part no more.

But, O Sarah! If the dead can come back to this earth and flit unseen around those they loved, I shall always be near you; in the garish day and in the darkest night -- amidst your happiest scenes and gloomiest hours - always, always; and if there be a soft breeze upon your cheek, it shall be my breath; or the cool air fans your throbbing temple, it shall be my spirit passing by.

Sarah, do not mourn me dead; think I am gone and wait for thee, for we shall meet again.

As for my little boys, they will grow as I have done, and never know a father's love and care. Little Willie is too young to remember me long, and my blue eyed Edgar will keep my frolics with him among the dimmest memories of his childhood. Sarah, I have unlimited confidence in your maternal care and your development of their characters. Tell my two mothers his and hers I call God's blessing upon them. O Sarah, I wait for you there! Come to me, and lead thither my children.

Sullivan

His horse was shot out from underneath him in that abattle. His leg was shot off, amputated and fellow Americans on the other side desecrated his body after burial.

Sarah never re-married.

The Civil War was anything but civil~civil in that it was internal we fought each other of course. And I would do an antique-y theme. I would do a 1800's theme but I would not do a Civil War theme, not a Viet Nam war them nor a WWII theme not an Iraq war theme. Not war, not me. I'll pass on those.

clovely Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:32pm
post #10 of 18

The Renaissance wasn't all polite and romantic either. History is brutal - but fascinating as well. I'm sure they're thinking of more of a period-theme...Antebellum. If they're really focusing on the Civil War, I'm sure there's a reason - maybe they are very involved in reenactment, maybe that's how they met? Even if they wanted blood and guts and dead soldiers all over the cake, it wouldn't be the tackiest thing I'd ever seen - anyone who's planned weddings or done wedding cakes for any amount of time wouldn't be surprised by much of anything. This theme could be terrible or it could be very well done and very sweet and beautiful.

-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:39pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by clovely

The Renaissance wasn't all polite and romantic either. History is brutal - but fascinating as well. I'm sure they're thinking of more of a period-theme...Antebellum. If they're really focusing on the Civil War, I'm sure there's a reason - maybe they are very involved in reenactment, maybe that's how they met? Even if they wanted blood and guts and dead soldiers all over the cake, it wouldn't be the tackiest thing I'd ever seen - anyone who's planned weddings or done wedding cakes for any amount of time wouldn't be surprised by much of anything. This theme could be terrible or it could be very well done and very sweet and beautiful.

War just is never sweet and to me it's the last thing I want to think about at a wedding.

Antebellum is after the war. OP said Civil War theme.

I've been at it for 35 years-ish--and still I am kinda surprised but also appalled.

But again, just me.

Maybe they mean 'era' not 'war'?

clovely Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:03pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

They must.

-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:15pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by clovely

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

They must.

That's my point though.

OP could help us out here.

I totally love the Sullivan Ballou letter!

I read tha,t before the war, on a plantation with the big whonking tree lined yard, they brought over these spiders from Africa that weave giant webs and they sprinkled real gold and silver dust on the sticky webs up in the trees to sparkle the night away for the happy couple to walk through.

Would that be an early appearance of the the goth movement? icon_lol.gif

Maybe I read too much.

(no not really--don't read enough)

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 12:29am
post #14 of 18

Wow! Thanks for all of your input. The couple are civil war re-enacters, I think that's how they met. I have to get more details from the bride, waiting for her to get back to me. I will definitely post photos if/when I make this cake icon_biggrin.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 12:46am
post #15 of 18

a good friend of mine is very much into the civil war re-enactments, has a great uniform and everything for his part in it. i think its a great idea for a wedding cake as its something thats a special sentiment for the couple, yes the guests will be eating the cake as well but very few couples i know ask for the guests opinion on what they should have as a theme for a cake but.. ah don't mind me, i can't wait to see the cake! icon_smile.gif

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:04am
post #16 of 18

I love unique ideas for wedding cakes- I sorta see an ivory fondant covered wedding cake- one of the tiers being blue or gray with the front being the neck/collar of the uniform (whichever or both sides) with the buttons - (it would sorta resemble the lacing of a corset style wedding cake maybe...) Gold ribbed bands about 1- 2 inches tall circline the base- and matching the buttons- then crossed sabers somewhere..If they want to add some feminity maybe the bottom tier could be skirts and pettycoats type of drape...but stick with the colors of the uniform- except for some roses maybe. ....
When you put it all together- it would have the shape of a cake done like a wedding dress mimic- but the individual elements would make up individual parts of the civil war. You could definately do Civil war characters on top- just put the groom in whatever side he re-enacts...

lilwoman22000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilwoman22000 Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 6:11pm
post #17 of 18

I have found a guy that does the wedding cakes and he says he makes civil war ones all the time he is a friend of my brothers. he is making me and my boyfriends for nov. 9th of this year.

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 14 Aug 2013 , 8:07pm
post #18 of 18

Sweet Cake...........~FR~ Don't know who made this to give credit to, but a friend sent me this one to make for her.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%