How Many Servings In A Sheet Cake?

Decorating By howsweet Updated 21 May 2009 , 2:15pm by dhccster

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 12

Does anyone know of a link? I don't have a clue how to determine the number of servings. I'm also wondering how high the actual cake should be -- maybe 2 inches?

11 replies
cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet

Does anyone know of a link? I don't have a clue how to determine the number of servings. I'm also wondering how high the actual cake should be -- maybe 2 inches?

wiltons site has a chart and Earlene has a chart but dont know her address. Sorry

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 12

A single layer sheet cake is 2" tall. The good news with rectangle or square cakes is you can do the math to figure the servings.

A 12x18 sheet, when cut in the standard 2x2x2 size, means the cake will be cut in 6 rows by 9 columns = 54 servings.

If the pieces will be cut in 3x2x2 size, this means the cake will be cut in 6 rows by 6 columns = 36 servings.

If you make a double layer cake, 4" tall, then the standard serving size is 1x2x4 and you can do the same math to get the number of servings.

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

A single layer sheet cake is 2" tall. The good news with rectangle or square cakes is you can do the math to figure the servings.

A 12x18 sheet, when cut in the standard 2x2x2 size, means the cake will be cut in 6 rows by 9 columns = 54 servings.

If the pieces will be cut in 3x2x2 size, this means the cake will be cut in 6 rows by 6 columns = 36 servings.

If you make a double layer cake, 4" tall, then the standard serving size is 1x2x4 and you can do the same math to get the number of servings.

Okay, I know you're rolling your eyes as you read this & I hate to even ask, but what is the equation you are using to figure out serving sizes? icon_redface.gif

indydebi Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by isabow2

Okay, I know you're rolling your eyes as you read this & I hate to even ask, but what is the equation you are using to figure out serving sizes? icon_redface.gif

If you mean how did I come up with 2x2x2, that's just the industry standard. A 3"x2"x2" is just slightly bigger ... some folks may cut it that way.

Whenever I go to parties, I always watch to see what the "common" cake size is. Most people at the ones I've been to, just seem to automatically cut it about 2x2" square. It's perfect for little kids parties, and most adults are asking for "a smaller piece for me".

If that's not what you were asking, then please forgive me for having my brain-dead cap on, and clarify for me what you need .. thumbs_up.gif

isabow2 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabow2

If you mean how did I come up with 2x2x2, that's just the industry standard. A 3"x2"x2" is just slightly bigger ... some folks may cut it that way.

Whenever I go to parties, I always watch to see what the "common" cake size is. Most people at the ones I've been to, just seem to automatically cut it about 2x2" square. It's perfect for little kids parties, and most adults are asking for "a smaller piece for me".

If that's not what you were asking, then please forgive me for having my brain-dead cap on, and clarify for me what you need .. thumbs_up.gif

I mean how do you figure out how many columns & rows there are in any given cake size. For instance you said a 12x18 w/the standard 2x2x2 is 6r by 9c=54 servings. How did you figure that out? Please excuse me if I'm being thick. I am horrible at math (which I'm sure you've already deduced).

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:46pm
post #7 of 12

divide 12 by 2 and you come up with 6 rows.

divide 18 by 2 and you come up with 9 columns.

6 times 9 = 54 pieces in a 12x18 cake.

indydebi Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 12

Oh, ok!!

12x18 cake. Pieces are cut in 2" squares (2x2). So you're going to make a cut every 2" on the 12" side of the cake. 12 divided by 2" = 6 rows. Same on the 18" side ... 18 divided by 2" = 9 columns. 6r x 9c = 54 pieces.

If you cut them 3x2x2, then the 12" side would be cut every 2" .... 12 divided by 2 = 6 rows. The 18" side would be cut every 3" ... 18 divided by 3" = 6 columns. 6r x 6c = 36 pcs.

Let's say you have a 10" square cake. assume 2x2x2. So you'll make a cut every 2". 10 divided by 2" = 5 rows. Since this is square, you'll also have 5 columns = 25 servings.

howsweet Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:17pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks Debi! Telling me typical serving size and how thick the cake should be was especially helpful. As you pointed out, the rest can be determined yourself. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

howsweet Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:17pm
post #10 of 12

Sorry, double post

isabow2 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:06pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:

Oh, ok!!

12x18 cake. Pieces are cut in 2" squares (2x2). So you're going to make a cut every 2" on the 12" side of the cake. 12 divided by 2" = 6 rows. Same on the 18" side ... 18 divided by 2" = 9 columns. 6r x 9c = 54 pieces.

If you cut them 3x2x2, then the 12" side would be cut every 2" .... 12 divided by 2 = 6 rows. The 18" side would be cut every 3" ... 18 divided by 3" = 6 columns. 6r x 6c = 36 pcs.

Let's say you have a 10" square cake. assume 2x2x2. So you'll make a cut every 2". 10 divided by 2" = 5 rows. Since this is square, you'll also have 5 columns = 25 servings.

Thanks so much. Sorry for the stupidity, but everywhere I looked it just told you the serving amount & I want to be able to figure it out myself. I know I'm severely math challenged, but I'm trying to learn. thumbs_up.gif

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 21 May 2009 , 2:15pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you for explaining this. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%