Cake Pans

Decorating By driveacake Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 12:40am by bbmom

driveacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
driveacake Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 3

I am no cake decorator or a baker to say the least, but i am going to try one of those william sonoma cake pans for my daughters birthday. has anyone ever used one and can you give me some basic tips??? The one I am using is the cute birthday teddy bear one! so excited!

2 replies
funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:28am
post #2 of 3

I have made that cake several times. It is really cute. Unfortunately the Williams Sonoma website has taken down the video showing how to make the cake and giving some nice tips and also the comments people left were helpful.
Oh well, Here goes. I have always loved the recipes that come with the pans. On this particular pan, I found that there was not enough batter to make the cake rise far enough above the rim of the pans. Because of that I could not level the cake to make a close connection. I ended up with a gap between the sides. So after a minor panic attack I using a star tip and frosting the teddy all over with chocolate buttercream instead of the sugar coating and added a blue grosgrain ribbon around his neck. He was still adorable and went perfectly with the brown and blue colors of the shower decorations. After that I used a recipe with more batter and then it worked out fine and I used the sugar coating as directed on the back of the pans and added fondant bibs and other decorations.

The only other thing I might add is both times I made the cake at home and had to transport it to the location. This bear does not like to travel. He is top heavy because of his big ole head. I ended up having my husband drive me while I held him steady in the box.

Hope this helps.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:40am
post #3 of 3

I dont know what the williams sonoma pan looks like but the wilton website has directions for many shaped, 3d, stand up type pans. Maybe you could find one from wilton that is similar to yours and follow their directions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%