Any Suggestions On How I Can Do This Cake???

Decorating By wakezcakez Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 8:12pm by msulli10

wakezcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wakezcakez Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,
I have a question that I'm hoping your creative minds can help me out with. I've been asked to do a cake for the 2nd of May...problem is I leave for a trip to Vegas on the 29th of April and don't return until the 3rd. I really want to somehow do this cake!!! It's for a very special little girl! Any ideas? I don't know how long I can refrigerate a decorated cake...does anyone have any suggestions on how I can pull this off???
Please Help!
icon_cry.gif

4 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 5

it might be fine. id make and decorate on the 28th, use a simple syrup to ensure it stays moist, and recipes that last well too. then seal it up! ive left cake for 5 days and its tasted great.
i dont use recipes that need refridgerated, plus, leaving cake in the fridge = stale cake. if its fondant coated ur fondant might go funny too.
if its a proper paying customer i wouldnt do it, but just family, i would!
xx

wakezcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wakezcakez Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks so much for your advice...do you have any suggestions for cake recipies that might last better? It is for family...so I really want to do it...thanks again for your help! icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 5

ive done it with a victoria sponge recipe, like this one http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/victoriaspongewithst_90309.shtml
and a butter cream that is 2 times as much icing sugar as butter, milk to thin it a bit, and vanilla for flavour.
they have been covered in fondant, and wrapped in celophane.
actually done it a couple of times, and its been fine, i havent really noticed any difference, and people at work thought it was still moist.
xx

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 5

I've made my cakes several days in advance, left them in the fridge all decorated and they tasted great. I make my cakes in advance and freeze them. Thaw over nite in fridge in the wrapping. Somehow I feel this helps keep the cakes nice and moist. Fondant will definitely help keep the cake sealed as well, but I've decorated in buttercream a couple of days ahead as well.
Leave it up to the customer. Tell her that the cake will be ready on April 29th and see if she still wants it. Good Luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%