Gumpaste Questions

Decorating By MommaKeri Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 12:24am by RandomCakes

MommaKeri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaKeri Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 4

I am a newbie with cakes, and mainly like to play around with cakes for family and friends.

I love watching shows like Food Network Challange, and seeing all the stuff they do.

Anyhow, my daughter's 4th birthday is in mid-June. I am thinking I'd like to either shape her a cake to look liker her bear character she loves (its the bear from Dr. Seuss Hop on Pop), or make a smaller, more traditional layer cake with gumpaste flowers. I see so many cute cakes with ribbon and flowers, and I think I could make a cute one.

However, I am wondering - can I purchase some prepared Gumpaste (the Wilton stuff), and toy around with it, seeing if I can even make some flowers, and be able to save what Gumpaste I don't use? If I do get some decent looking flowers, can I store them and still have them be edible in June?

(on a side question - how does the prepared Wilton Fondant taste? I have tried MMF multiple times and can't for the life of me get that stuff to roll out and cover like I see on TV. Granted, I don't have fancy Marble or stainless countertops to work on - but that shouldn't be the root of all my troubles)

3 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 4

What's the weather like down there in Durham? Is it damp most of the time, or on the dry side?

I ask because, although I have never used it, I have read that Wilton Pre-made Gumpaste does not readily dry.

And as far as the fondant goes, find a recipe you want to try, and work with that instead. Wilton rolled fondant has a chemical kind of taste to it, at least in my opinion.

People here on CC rave about Michele Foster's rolled fondant. You can find the recipe in the files.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 4

.......can I purchase some prepared Gumpaste (the Wilton stuff), and toy around with it.....get some decent looking flowers, can I store them and still have them be edible in June? .........how does the prepared Wilton Fondant taste?.........

Let's start at the end.......how does Wilton taste? Most don't like it but you *can* add flavoring to it to improve it some.
Can/should you get some prepared gp & play around w/it? Certainly!! Go for it. Will you be able to save them...yes, wrap them in plastic wrap, put into an air-tight container (Tubberwear like) and store in a cool, dark place.

RandomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RandomCakes Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 12:24am
post #4 of 4

I don't have fancy countertops either, but I have never had a problem with MMF. If you are impatient and/or have week joints like I do, try using your mixer to make the MMF. I grease my Kitchenaid bowl and dough hook down with Crisco, then poor in the melted marshmallow mixture, add the powdered sugar a little at a time (so it doesn't "rain" PS). I add a little bit of crisco when it starts sticking to the bowl (a little will do you), and use a spatula to scrape down the bowl every min or so. Add more crisco till you get the constancy desired. It usually only takes 1-2 tbs total. Then I leave it on med to knead the fondant for me for about 5 mins. I can then use it right after. I've never had to sift it or let it sit over nights, no problem with lumps, it works great for me. If making only 1 color, you can also add coloring while in the mixer. Coat in crisco and wrap in plastic wrap and store in refrigerator if not using right away.

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%