New Cake Challenge Tonight!

Decorating By Rhonda19 Updated 2 May 2009 , 7:12pm by PSLCakeLady

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 62

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to remind you that Food Network is having a new Cake Challenge tonight. It's supposed to be a 4 week special, with the largest prize ever to be given away.

Rhonda

61 replies
patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 12:09am
post #2 of 62

Hey! It is on....50K up for grabs and Courtney is in it!

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 12:17am
post #3 of 62
cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:27am
post #4 of 62

I loved Mary Maher's cake, but, the way I see it, not because you visited 2 countries thata the story of your life, It was a better cake but Bronwen's should have won, I think.

And it was just horrible what they made them do, vote outloud for each other, but I agree with the desicion to vote off Michelle, her cake needed to be described and she missed the point.

Just my 2 cents.

Patty*

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 1:40am
post #5 of 62

I love Mary and her designs. If you watch her on WE on Amazing Wedding Cakes, she's great (and her sister). I bet the drama of this one is going to focus more between Bronwen and Mary, there were 2 big hints to that in this episode. Both of their designs were great, I loved them both. I like Michelle, but this cake was not her best...

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:17am
post #6 of 62

I also missed Marina, she is the number 1 of all time!

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:25am
post #7 of 62

I just watched the show.
I too think michelle's cake was awesome but didn't meet the requirement too bad she's got a great personality.
Browen definattly got it right.
It was horrible how they had them vote someone off in front of each other. They should have done it by private ballot.
And I think they missed it on voting off, you shoukd vote off your biggest threat.
I can't wait too see who wins.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:35am
post #8 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundrea

I just watched the show.
I too think michelle's cake was awesome but didn't meet the requirement too bad she's got a great personality.
Browen definattly got it right.
It was horrible how they had them vote someone off in front of each other. They should have done it by private ballot.
And I think they missed it on voting off, you shoukd vote off your biggest threat.
I can't wait too see who wins.

Kind of like the biggest loser show!

I agree with cakeladyatLA about Mary's cake and was hoping Bronwen won because I think her cake told the story the best and it looked great to boot.

driveacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
driveacake Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:55am
post #9 of 62

I too missed Marina and Mike and Collette! Dude, where were the Real cake stars! And back to the topic of the show, if the other competitors were smart, they would have gotten rid Courtney!

ilikeitdark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilikeitdark Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:54am
post #10 of 62

I am brand new to Cake Central and I am so excited to see that there is a thread about tonights "Last Cake Standing."

The show was good but I do agree with driveacake...where were the real stars? You also forgot to mention Mike McCarey in that all star line up.

Actually, my sister overheard some very good gossip by Courtney at a cake show in Virginia. Word is that a few of those people were asked and none of them would commit to the show.

She also said that Courtney was mad because she didn't find out until she got there that she was a last minute replacement for Marina, whose mom had recently passed away.

Anyways, can't wait to see who wins. I am rooting for James...go get em'!

paidincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paidincake Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:03am
post #11 of 62

It is true that Marina Sousa's mom passed away, look at her website, she has a great write up about her and how her mom was her biggest fan! so sweet. I think if she were in the mix, it would have been a different show today.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:16am
post #12 of 62

I agree with most of you, that it was soooo awful to have them vote each other off, in person!! The producers definitely want DRAMA icon_sad.gif Not so much about the cake, compared to the beginning years. I love Marina, too!! They could make this go on for a year, swapping out different cake designers -that would be GREAT!!!

luvsfreebies72 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:58am
post #13 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiesbykim

I agree with most of you, that it was soooo awful to have them vote each other off, in person!! The producers definitely want DRAMA icon_sad.gif Not so much about the cake, compared to the beginning years. I love Marina, too!! They could make this go on for a year, swapping out different cake designers -that would be GREAT!!!

I 2nd this! They are all fab, it's hard to choose my favs

but from this group I adore Bronwen and Mary and Michelle. Too bad Michelle's cake just didn't tell her story better

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:00am
post #14 of 62

The judging was just ridiculous. At least cast the votes privately!

What the contestants SHOULD have done, was each cast 1 vote for one other person, so it is a 5-way tie! What then, FN????

Poor Michelle. Is cake supposed to make you cry? Utterly ridiculous.

p.s. Mary is phenomenal. Although it's the first time I really loved all the cakes, hers was so different and she made all the elements work together so well. BRAVO!!

vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:16am
post #15 of 62

I thought last night's show was really good - except for the vote off - that was tacky. I really liked how they allowed the gracious side of Kerry Vincent to shine through when they showed the judges. I wonder if Food Network has been reading these forums??? I also liked the fact that Bronwen and Mary acknowledged the fact that are in this to beat each other...Bronwen knows Mary is her biggest competition there and Mary knows that Bronwen is gunning for her because of the Simpson's challenge. I loved both of their cakes last night, but I would have given the immunity to Bronwen - her cake told her story the most clearly. Maybe the judges thought she was too literal? I loved seeing Elisa in mix - but I think Bronwen made a really good point - the challenge has really changed in the past year or so - lots of twists and curve balls - that Elisa wasn't exposed to in her challenges. I really wnat Bronwen to win this because I think when it comes to the challenge, nobody does it better. I was really happy to see Courtney back - glad the Hannah Montana challenge didn't break her spirits.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:23am
post #16 of 62

Bronwen's cake had the most personality, but I think technically that James' was the most excellent. I'm not an artist, so I didn't care for Mary's cake, personally...but I recognize that she's a genius in her own right. I was a little surprised at Michelle's black cake...that's not her personality at all. Fun challenge overall, but I absolutely hated the vote off at the end. Very tacky.
But....can't wait for next week!!!!!

KieslerKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KieslerKakes Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:26am
post #17 of 62

Ok, I'm going to post my opionion and will probably get bashed! I love the FN cake challenges and just can't get enough of them, but I think there's more reality coming out of the show instead of cake decorating. I think there's to much focus on making the show a reality challenge instead of a cake challenge. Don't hate me for saying this, I love the show and will always watch it. Maybe I'm just not watching the way I should be.

vonnie99 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:57am
post #18 of 62

I agree with you - the challenge has gotten away from being purely about the best cake - it is pushing the competitors into uncomfortable situations and making them cope...whoever copes the best wins. That why I think Bronwen should win this last cake standing - she jumps over, under and through the hurdles and always produces an amazing cake. The Battle of the Brides was a perfect example of the "new" challenge - Buddy handled his bride the best and he won. He gave great instruction, brought her around to his colors and design and cranked out an amazing cake that she would like, that the viewers would like and that the judges would like.

driveacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
driveacake Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:37pm
post #19 of 62

I guess since the Big Guns could not commit to this one, the producers had to settle with what was left. But of course they are stuck with a bunch of drama queens and criers! I guess that makes good TV right, tears and drama! Mary has true talent and I have a special place in my heart for James, but other then that lets CALL OUT THE CHAMPIONS! I hope they are ready for the next round of the Last Cake Standing! I can't wait, it will be SOOO exciting!

p.s. sounds like Courtney is a bit of a gossip! like 2 posts were refering to her gossiping! bwaaahaahaa, i so can't wait to see how all of this pans out! until next sunday!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 4:37pm
post #20 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by driveacake

I guess since the Big Guns could not commit to this one, the producers had to settle with what was left. But of course they are stuck with a bunch of drama queens and criers! I guess that makes good TV right, tears and drama! Mary has true talent and I have a special place in my heart for James, but other then that lets CALL OUT THE CHAMPIONS! I hope they are ready for the next round of the Last Cake Standing! I can't wait, it will be SOOO exciting!

p.s. sounds like Courtney is a bit of a gossip! like 2 posts were refering to her gossiping! bwaaahaahaa, i so can't wait to see how all of this pans out! until next sunday!

IMO, they deserve a little more respect than that.

luvsfreebies72 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:01pm
post #21 of 62

IMO they weren't "settling" when they got these designers to do the challenge.. settling would be getting me to do it icon_rolleyes.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:37pm
post #22 of 62

I was absolutely blown away by Elisa Straus's cake. I know Kerry thought her fondant ruffles were too thick, but really, who would've guessed that was a cake? Loved Bronwen's cake, as well as Mary's. All three were extremely original. The remaining three cakes were incredibly well done, just not as unique. I think this will be an interesting series of challenges! I just wish they'd handle the "vote somebody off" differently. Didn't care for that part at all.

HATED the "Battle of the Brides" challenge. I thought it was a poor way to treat the competitors, personally. At least with this new challenge, The competitors know ahead of time that there will be curve balls thrown.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:47pm
post #23 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsfreebies72

IMO they weren't "settling" when they got these designers to do the challenge.. settling would be getting me to do it icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_lol.gif No kidding!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:58pm
post #24 of 62

I love to watch the challenges, but I do agree that they're getting to be more about the drama and less about the cakes.

I bet the cute little brunette at the end was VERY relieved that she didn't have to cast a vote.

Also, did you see next week's previews? One of the things they have to do is "find their own way back to the FN studio." How does that relate to cake decorating skills????

Anyway, I still plan to watch it! icon_wink.gif

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:02pm
post #25 of 62

I like the show last night. I loved Bronwen's her cake told us about her. I like Mary's cake but not enough over Bronwen's, it was her going to countries not her life (that is just me). Michelle's cake did not like, even my 6 year said it was the worse.

For, Courtney she should not be upset that she was a runner up because Marina could not commit due death in the family. She should be honored that she was ask, they could have asked someone else but they asked her.

So, see what happens next week.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:03pm
post #26 of 62

I am addicted to cake challenge, I even watch the constant repeats. I agree with geminirj, that dress cake was great

cookieaddict Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieaddict Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:06pm
post #27 of 62

I agree, the dress cake was simply superb. Didn't understand why Kerry Vincent said the fondant was heavy on that dress. I honestly agreed Micheal Bommarito's cake didn't reflect her personality. She is always so bubbly and this did not show that side of her.

Necey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Necey Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:11pm
post #28 of 62

Thanks Rhonda19, I fell asleep last challenge ,before it was over ..I was so upset with myself for not seeing the finish ! Anyway, I love the cake challenges too. Thanks for the reminder today..icon_smile.gif

vonnie99 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:16pm
post #29 of 62

I always try to pay attention to the thickness of the fondant on these challenges - because I have a hard time with that on my cakes - afraid of going to thick or too thin... I think that when Kerry made that comment about Elisa's fondant they were showing her applying a ruffle and it did look to be a bit thick for something that was supposed to be "fabric" I think that was what Kerry was driving at - that it was too thick to have the movement that fabric has; that it didn't look as realistic as it could have....I don't know - just a guess

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:24pm
post #30 of 62

Well, I loved ALL THE CAKES last night! Let's face it...."I" can't do it! However, I've been on CC long enough to know that "our little club" certainly DOES have people that could do this Challenge and WIN hands down!

I loved Michelle's black and silver- CLASSIC and the snake and the poem kinda DID tell about her family. There is NO ONE that can do flowers like James- AWESOME! LOVED Mary's "painting" on the cakes- TALENTED. Elisa's "dress"- SPECTACULAR! Courtney's- FUN. Bronwen's- PINK!

I HATE the way FN made them vote out loud. These are professional cake decorators....don't make them CUT THROAT competitors! Having said that.....DVR already set for next week! LOL

Beth in KY

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%