? About Transporting A Stacked Cake 1 1/2 Hours Away

Decorating By sandy1 Updated 5 Apr 2009 , 8:13pm by Tona

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 14

I need to transport a large, 3 tiered cake an 1 1/2 away. What would you sugguest is the best way to transport it. I was planning on placing a large piece of foam rug padding in the back of my vehicle to prevent the cake from sliding around. Does anyone have any other suggestions that would work well. I have never had to travel this far with a cake before and am concerned about getting it to the customer in one piece! I'll be biting my nails off until it's delivered safe and sound.

13 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 14

Do you have time to order the SPS system? If not, do you HAVE to transport it assembled instead of transporting it separately and assembling it when you get there?

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 14

I will go with SPS one of these days when I feel like I can afford the extra cost. I don't sell any of my cakes, so it is all on me.

I have gone 2 1/2 hours, but always go with individual tiers and put the cakes together when I get there. It isn't always convenient, but at least I know I won't get there with a disaster on my hands.

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 14

WHAT IS THE SPS system?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 14

SPS really is super cheap, less expensive than the W Hidden Pillars. And so much more stable. If you have to travel with a stacked cake, I do strongly recommend it. I travel with stacked cakes all the time, with the cake simply sitting on non-skid in the back of the SUV.

For more info on SPS
|
|
|
V

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative_chika

WHAT IS THE SPS system?

Here's the sticky thread in the "How To" forum. http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 14

I drove that long to deliver the beauty in my avatar,

<---- icon_biggrin.gif

I did it by stacking on site . I used the tes straw method like shown on the sugarshack videos. I did not have time to get the SPS system although from I have heard it works wonders and is the best thing to use on stacked cakes, I used the straw method, but took me about 40 minutes to fix mistakes, stack and add ribbon and bows the cake. All the vibrating of the car that long might cause your cake to shift or worse!

The tier that has scroll work on my of my tiers moved and was against the box when I got it out all it did was leave an inprint so I just piped over it Thanks heavens I went prepared with a tip 3 bag of icing!

Good luck

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 6:58pm
post #8 of 14

My issue with delivering an already assembled cake is trying to carry it in without messing it up. They're HEAVY!!

I use rug grip under my boxes and under each cake board in the box to prevent slipping.

I always assemble on site.

sweetsbyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyl Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 7:08pm
post #9 of 14

I highly recommend using the SPS system!
I've delivered an assembled 3 tier stacked cake using the SPS and I did not have a problem.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1282894

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 7:08pm
post #10 of 14

One thing that helps alot is to have the cake nice and cold...and then keep the A/C running in the back of your car really well the entire time.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 7:20pm
post #11 of 14

I too deliver then assemble, if not I am afraid I would get in an accident always looking over my shoulder at the cake

absijails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absijails Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 7:26pm
post #12 of 14

This week I did a 3-tiered cake for my friend and used SPS for the support. SHE drove it home and then to the party site and it did great. I attached grippy shelf liner to the board and put a piece in the back of her SUV. She drove just over an hour to her house...SPS is the way to go.

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 7:26pm
post #13 of 14

I always yous Sharon's Sugarshack stacking method and I traveled 2 hours with it on less than perfect roads without a glitch. It is cheap and secure method and I dont have to worry about not having something on hand. If you do good doweling you are fine and care free. I did deliver in airconditioned car though but delivered both BC and Fondant covered cakes. Very pleased with result! And hustle free at the venue, just make the table pretty and all the observers see a stunning cake without you sweating all over it icon_smile.gif

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 8:13pm
post #14 of 14

I deliver mine assembled as well always use the SPS system. I love the system very stable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%