Calculating Size Of Groom's Cake

Decorating By Liz1951 Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 11:42am by Liz1951

Liz1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz1951 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 4

A young man sent me a picture of the groom's cake he's wanting for his upcoming wedding. It's a 3 tier and serves 150. How should I determine the size of a groom's cake? Their wedding cake will serve 150. I've never seen a groom's cake the same size of the wedding cake. (I'm sure some are, I've never seen one). I certainly don't want to hurt his feelings and make him feel as if his cake isn't as important as the wedding cake. Plus, it's chocolate...I'm already dreading the chocolate crumbs. haha Thanks so much for any suggestions.

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 4

Respond back telling him, "The cake as shown will serve approx 150 guests. The price will be $xxx.xx." then let him decide how much cake he wants.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 4

Yup......what she ^^^^^^ said icon_smile.gif

Some decorators suggest about 1/3 of the servings should come from the grooms cake but I have had times where everyone went to the all choco grooms cake and left the white brides cake sitting there until the choco was all goneicon_smile.gif
Others say up to 1/2 of the total servings while still others say all of the servings should come from the brides cake and the grooms cake is 'just there' for anyone who wants something different.
So you see it really needs to be up the the couple which way to go.

Liz1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz1951 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:42am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the tips!! It's the couple's big day. So whatever they decide that's what I'll do. We aim to please, right!!?? LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%