Fondant Tools And Accessories

Decorating By Mommy_Cakes Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 9:20pm by RobzC8kz

Mommy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy_Cakes Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 4

Tomorrow is the first session of my W Fondant & Gumpaste Course. I get really excited and start to want all the toys down the Wilton Isle, but I know that W is not the end all and be all of all things cake.

So I was wondering what fun tools and accessories are items that you just couldn't live without, and what would you not touch with a ten foot pole?

TIA

3 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 2:58am
post #2 of 4

I think that all the little cutters are fun, and not expensive at all. I love the silicon pastry rolling pin for rolling out fondant, but I HATE the roll and cut mat. No matter what I did, everything stuck to it. I use 22 gauge vinyl instead, way cheaper, and nothing sticks to it. I like the pastry wheel, but you could use any ol' pizza cutter. Oh, and I really liked the pattern press sets, because I just don't trust my freehand. icon_smile.gif

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 3:11am
post #3 of 4

I am by no means an expert. Having said that, I had the same problem with the roll and cut mat. I put a tiny bit of shortening on it, and it works perfect now, without sticking.
I love the big americolor bottles. They are SO much easier and more convenient than the toothpick/wilton colors.
I don't have a kitchenaid yet, so I went to Walmart and bought 10 HUGE deep bowls for mixing. They were only $1.50 each!
As far as wilton goes, I love the fondant cutters(cookie cutters work just as good). I am going to buy the letter press this week, b/c my writing is not so good!
Sorry I wasn't much help with the wilton stufficon_smile.gif I'm still just starting out and adding slowly!

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 4

My best tools are a pizza cutter, an Exacto knife, a set of clay tools I bought at Michaels, my clay gun, and my shapes cutters and letter stamps! I don't like the "made for fondant" tools you buy from Wilton' etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%